RCBS vs. Hornaday starter kit?

matachango

Ok, so I'm in the market for a reloading starter kit. Right now due to the Christmas sale I can get either RCBS rock chucker or Hornaday lock-n-load classic kit. Which one is better? What would you get?

Last edited:
I would first check to see if the Hornady press uses standard interchangeable shell holders. I bought a Hornady trimmer and then had to buy all of their shellholders.RCBS wouldnt fit. If you are going to use all Hornady stuff, then it shouldnt be a problem. Good luck.

If your going to get a "kit", I would get the RCBS or Lyman kits. but keep an open mind that the kit is just the starting point. You can count on doubling your investment with additional tools. Well worth it though. As having the right tool for the job is more accurate and makes things easier!

Thanks for the advice, I forgot to mention, hornady is id throwing bulletin 500 free bullets. Would this change you mind? The only differences I can see is that rcbs comes with a manual scale and hornady comes with a digital scale. Big difference? One better/easier to use?

I wouldn't start out with a digital scale to many things to look out for, everyone needs a good beam scale and then build from there. IMO.

We have all RCBS. I started out with a Rock Chucker press and added to that one piece at a time. I went with a Chargemaster 1500 dispenser and scale next, Power case prep station, hand trimer which I added the power head to 2 months later. Next came a case vibrator and seperator for cleaning cases, hand primer and lots of misc. shell holders and other stuff.
This setup worked for about 2 years, at which time I added a Uniflow powder dispenser, A Turret Press with a second head. I just added a Hornady Sonic Cleaner for cleaning dies and gun parts, I don't like using the sonic cleaner for brass since it seems to take awhile for brass to dry.
I have been lucky that my son and I have split the cost of this hobby. Shop around and see what fits your needs, A kit is a good way to start out, whatever you think this startup will cost, multiply it by 2 times for all the extras. Good Luck,----Riflemann

Originally Posted By: matachangoThanks for the advice, I forgot to mention, hornady is id throwing bulletin 500 free bullets. Would this change you mind? The only differences I can see is that rcbs comes with a manual scale and hornady comes with a digital scale. Big difference? One better/easier to use?

Both pressed use standard shell holders.

The lock & Lad feather will not make a difference to you, so it is not worth weighing in the decision process.

A manual scale is a BIG deal - electric scales are just "OK" and are not accurate (I have three - one is good, the other two are not reliable).

You will need a manual scale - if you choose a kit without one, then get the best you can afford.

The Hornady is a better press - the Rockchucker "Supreme" is a watered down version of the famous Rockchucker and Rockchucker II, and is on the wimpy side.

I started with the rock chucker supreme kit and love it. Everyone stocks rcbs stuff so there is no worries about interchangeable parts ect. I later added and a bullet puller, different lube, case trimmer, manuals, ect. It's a great kit IMO and if you buy it from Natchez shooting supplies you get $75 off right now. Hope this helps.

I bought the Rockchucker kit and am very pleased with it. RCBS customer service is top notch. I tried a digital scale for a while, but didn't care for it. Very inconsistent. For me it's tough to beat the reliability of a beam scale. I'm not knocking Hornady, I just don't have any experience with their products.

Weight out what each kit comes with and what you will want to upgrade. I have used most all the major brands. For the most part they are all good. I have a hornady press, rcbs and redding dies,rcbs chargemaster, dillion beam scale, and a hornady micro powder dump. I also have a hornady l-n-l ap press. The majority of my loading for rifles are done on the single stage and pistols on the ap. Like cat said the newer rcbs rock press is nothing like the older ones. Which is why I went with the hornady. I don't care too much about the lock-n-load bushing. But they work good for the ap. I would go through and buy the press you want and then buy the scale and powder dump you want. Buy them piece by piece. It may cost you more now but you won't have to upgrade down the road. Jmo

RCBS guy here too. However I do like Hornady seating dies a little better than the RCBS. Both companies had top notch customer service. Either way you will be happy.

I have the Hornady starting kit. I have been very impressed with it. I use Lee dies for reloading 30-06. Hornady dies for .223. Lyman for 30-30. All different name brand shell holders will work in the press. But, like was said above if you buy the Hornady shell trimmer you will need to buy Hornady shell holders.

I don't think you can go wrong either way. I might go with RCBS, although I like the Hornady dies better personally. I have mainly Hornady stuff but a little RCBS and Lyman.

Back