Expectations for a .357 Mag out of a Ruger Blackhawk

varhunter

I've been trying to reload for a ruger blackhawk that we have in .357 Mag and haven't been getting groups I'm happy with, I'm just wondering what other people are getting for accuracy. Also, what range do's everyone shoot their test loads at? The closest at the range i'm a member of is 25 yards which seems long for all the accuracy tests i've seen in magazines. But anyway, my groups are about 3.5 inches at 25 yards. Should I be able to get them better?

I was getting 2" groups at 25 yards out of my handloaded 44 mag blackhawk. Open sights with a rest.

And let me say first off, I am not a pistol shooter by no means. I was pretty happy with that.

I did all my testing at 25 yards since its a 6 shooter used for hunting. Anything closer seems unrealistic to me.

357s are usually pretty accurate. I bet its capable of at least 2" groups at 25 yards with the right load.

Someone with more pistol experience might be able to give ya better answer or info.

I'll shoot mine at 25 yards on load work and try for a consistent 1.5-2 inch group then stretch it out later on. At one time some rugers had cylinders that didn't get reamed right. My 41 mag was like that. It had 2 holes that the bullets wouldn't hardly push through with a pencil the other 4 you could, slight drag. I took emery cloth and a drill and buffed out those 2 till they were the same as the others. Not precise machine work but the groups went from pie plate down to 2 inches.
If you've shot any cast lead bullets check for leading in the barrel. If its bad a copper choreboy scouring pad wrapped around a brush will take it right out.
Try different powder/bullet combos I have 2 41 mags my smith likes h110 or 296 and the ruger imr 4227 I'll did up my 357 load and post it later.

Unless things are really outta whack you're Blackhawk should be capable of 1" 25 yard groups (the gun that is, maybe not me, maybe not you) but that's easier said then done. IME handguns are much touchier to loads than rifles. While I can throw about any load together for a rifle and groups may double best vs. worst (say best load is MOA than worse load may be 2 moa) but with my handguns best may be 1" at 25 yards, worst may be 6" at 25 yards. My Rugers love XTP's but will scoff at lesser JHP's, my .357 loves BlueDot but hates 2400, my .32H&R loves commercial hardcast lead but the .357 leads severely with them, etc etc. Heck, even bullet design makes a big difference. My .357 throws groups that resemble shotgun patterns with Berry's 158gr HP plated bullets but shoots Berry's 158gr FP plated bullets reasonably well. Same manufacture, same weight, same plating, same powder load, completely different results.

If I were in your place I'd get some 158gr XTP's, some BlueDot, Unique and 2400 and work up 3 or 4 different loads using each powder and test em. Some fast, some slow, some maybe even below starting grains by the the book. If you're wanting a hunting load pick up some 180gr XTP's while you're at it(my Security Six loves them with 9.5grs BlueDot). But if after trying those bullets with those powders your groups don't shrink the problem probably lies elsewhere.

Note: Your crimp can make a big difference. I always thought Unique was a dirty powder until I started giving my loads a fairly heavy crimp and now no smoke, not much if any residue on my gun and better accuracy.

Thanks for the info guys, it's only use is home protection and bear medicine when we go out hiking, so as of now I have 125 grn FP/XTP and 158 grn XTP for it. I've tried IMR 4227, H110 and Win 296. Could be me just being a bad pistol shot or my crimps since you brought that up. I just got the Lee factory crimp die so hopefully that will help me out some. Good to know what I should be going for in accuracy though. Thanks again.

Right or wrong what I was taught was to take and number your cylinder from 1-6 and then get some factory rounds and shoot a group with each number. IE 5 shot group with #1 and the next 5 shot group with #2 and so on. To make sure that your 6 cylinders are the same. Then you can start working up loads with those certain cylinders. That way when your are hunting you will know to index it so that #3 will give you the most accurate first shot. And you may have an ok #4-6 so you will always index to #2 so when you pull the hammer back the first shot is #3. I know that on my S&W 629 that the #5&6 shoot the same and that my #1 shoots just about as good and then #2&3 are a little worse and #4 is about like #1. And like CB said the crimp plays a big part on revolvers. I have also found that there is a difference between a rolled crimp and a tapperd crimp with my 357. One other thing is to take and do a lot of dryfire in your spare time. It really helps with trigger control. About 2-3 weeks before I go pistol hunting I will get the revolver out and do some dryfire while watching tv for about an hour on and off each night. It is hard for me to switch from shooting a 2 stage trigger or a semi auto trigger to the crisp trigger of a S&W revolver. It really helps when I go to the range and check the gun out.

Last edited:
Another thing I've noticed is some loads that I shoot will have unburned grains of powder left in the case. Would I need a heavier crimp so that all the powder burns? If not then what else would cause and fix this?

I don't have a Black hawk in 357 but I do have a Ruger GP-100 in 357 mag. Current load is with 4227 and 158gr XTP @ 1.5-2.0 inch at 25yds. Another powder that works well is Lil'gun.

As for the unburned grains of powder, do you use magnum primers with those loads? It might help, also do you have more of a problem with unburned powder and the 125's?

Some powders are worse than others at leaving grains. Has something to do with the retardants they use. Pretty much normal with some. IME. Reloader 7 is real bad about it.

125g Sierra with 18g of imr 4227 with a cci 550 works very well in my ruger, XTP is a tough bullet.

I have killed a lot of jackrabbits with the load above.

My old Blackhawk seems to like Unique and 231 best for powders.It never was picky about bullet weight or type. 296 was a right off for powder in it.

Hodgdon H110 and Sierra 140gr JHC works out to 100yds out of my 6.5in Blackhawk. I can hit a pie tin which = dead deer.

Back