Bobcat hound?

ryanx

Hey guys, I am from northern PA and my parents property has a good amount of bobcats on it my dad and I usually catch between 3-5 cats on our property which is about 350 acres. I am interesting in getting a dog some kind to run and tree them with. The catch is I have no experience with this. I am currently in college and not planning on getting a dog for a couple of years. So if you guys can just start me for step one and show me where to start when I can get to this. Any help is greatly appreciated!

I think you need to start on telling us what you are looking for. A good bobcat dog will cost you anywhere between $5,000 and $15,000. And why not with the price of bobcats a guy can make that much off a good bobcat dog, then why would he sell the dog.
I wouldn't take $15,000 for this dog but my wife says I am stupid too, I might even agree with her.

2jb5ele.jpg

You can deplete an area of bobcats. It can take anywhere up to 5 years for them to replentish in an overharvested area.

Devin I started trapping around Craig in the early 70s....

In pa we have a set season for when we can harvest a bobcat either hunting or trapping and we haven't been able to catch one during the season and I am the only trapper in the area so there has never been a cat taken from my area. I don't want to spend a lot money, remember I am broke college student. I don't know what I really want in details. There are some guys who run coons with blue ticks and walkers would one them work?

Like I said no one is going to get rid of a good bobcat dog cheap. With the fur prices topping the scales at $,1400 + last year and fur prices expected to be the same or a bit more, you can see why people would hold on to a good bobcat dog.
You can use what ever dog you would liek to use on bobcats but a good one is going to come from a long line of good bobcat dogs. Many people have lucked out and treed a cat here and there with curs, yard dogs, and coon hounds but it was just that ...Luck. To catch them concistantly you will need something bred for it.
mtbadger, anytime you are back here or want to come back here give me a shout and we will see if we can scare something up to shoot.

Here we are only allowed 5 bobcats per year. I had a pretty good dog, paid 3500$ for her, and killed 4 or 5 a year. Worked my [beeep] off to get it done. A solid bobcat dog is worth its weight in gold almost, literally. Cats here average 800, and top around 1500$. I'm in the class right now of running my catahoulla crosses. Between them and traps, I can catch 5 cats. If I lived in a place with a better limit I would go back to a good hound.

My dad used to have a running walker that was cat crazy.
He could be in sight of deer he was running, and leave them for a 2 day old cat trail.
I would love to have him today, except for the deer running part.

Shayne

I am not looking at getting a trained dog, I was thinking about starting a with a puppy and then train it. I had a guy reccomend a Cameron bluetick, what breeds would you reccomend for a beginner and how much would a pup run?

Quit thinking about breed, look at a pup out of good proven lines. Even then if you don't know what your doing it could be a wreck. Remember if it was easy everyone would be doing it. I don't know a single dogman that "rung the bell" with his first dog. Not trying to shut ya down, just being honest.
If ya start with a good pup, listen to guys that know how to get it done, and work your [beeep] off, you will have a good start.

ryanx, I agree with Duane. Find you someone that has a good line of bobcat dogs someone that has proven litters of proven bobcat dogs and that can catch what he is putting out on. Doesnt sound like you have anyone in the area to show you the ropes so it may be a long haul with alot of trial and error. Dont get stuck on a breed of dog unless you can find one that is catching what you want to run.
duckdog, thanks.

Back