Favorite Handle material???

Workman

Alright, we talk about steel types and rightly so, but how about your favorite handle materials?

Fixed blades and folders....

1) Stag
2) Nice wood
3) Jigged bone (if the right person's doing the jigging)
4) Smooth bone (if the wrong person's doing the jigging)

I used some heart wood off a cedar branch somone was throwing out on the side od the road once.. turned out really nicely.

I like wood, American wood scales and bone or antler.

For bloody work I like a rubber handle. Knives are a lot of things, but they must be functional as well. I have a Gerber Gator folding knife with the rubber handle and the grip when wet is much better. I don't know how to do that from a custom point, but slick material like micarta is slicker when wet. Wood works well though.

I 've cleaned deer with 3 different rubber handled knives. 2 I gave away, the other I lost. Don't miss any of them. I have a S&W USA rubber handled knife lying around in my garage that I've been thinking of re-handling. It's not that they aren't functional, they just aren't much to look at and I don't seem to have a hard time retaining my grip on any of the knives I use, wet or not.........

I almost listed mother of pearl, but it just cracks too damm easily for any kind of real usage. High price, low durability. Pretty to look at though........

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunI 've cleaned deer with 3 different rubber handled knives. 2 I gave away, the other I lost. Don't miss any of them. I have a S&W USA rubber handled knife lying around in my garage that I've been thinking of re-handling. It's not that they aren't functional, they just aren't much to look at and I don't seem to have a hard time retaining my grip on any of the knives I use, wet or not.........

That's why the world goes round and round, instead of up and down.

Oil finished wood would be my next choice in handles.

Polished musk ox horn is hard to beat in my opinion.

(Not my knives)

ceddd16d-1.jpg

fae8347b-1.jpg

olemusky008.jpg

olemusky011.jpg

untitled-3.png

My working knives are all micarta. Pretty much indistructable and Easy to polish up if they get scratched. I have a couple Schrade fixed blades that are some kind of hard composite and they also work well .

Back