Let's talk lasers OTAL or DBAL what color?

cmatera

Which is the best way to go OTAL or DBAL. DBAL price and weight is +50%. What's the use of a visible laser with NV? If DBAL, what color visible laser, red or green?

I have the ITAL,D2,Eolad's and LDI Pistol rail laser all class 1 IR models. My flat out favorite is the D2 which is funny I didnt even want one that one but was talked into trying it out. My D2 has the green day laser I like it better than the red myself I have the D2 mount as the only optic on a night rifle and use the green laser to sight in during daylight hours its easier than sighting in at night. The IR illum built into the D2 system is a huge plus and really makes the laser system stand apart form my others. I have killed a couple of hogs around 200 yards using the D2 and helmet mount NV plus 3X lens snapped on.

I have two dbal i2. One in red and one in green. I use them with the eagle tac or luna ir.

Using the laser during the day mostly...get green. To save money get red. just using the visible laser with NV get red and save. I would get the DBAl i2 when its on sale, around 840 in red. Green is easier to see and brighter...

I tried two Dbal D2 on the shotgun and they both broke (couldn't handle the recoil), but they might be ok for AR .223. They are the perfect setup.

The uses of the visible laser for NV. If you have a dedicated NV, pvs 14 or Day scope and it suddenly fails or can't use it during the day, To check your scope or red dot see if its still on, Easier to sight visible laser during the day. Sight in visible laser then get ir laser close to visible laser or red dot or cross hairs and check. To use as a pointer so your hunting buddy can take the shot.

The ir only version can save you some money.

Originally Posted By: cmateraWhich is the best way to go OTAL or DBAL. DBAL price and weight is +50%. What's the use of a visible laser with NV? If DBAL, what color visible laser, red or green?

Not sure what exact DBAL you're talking about, but if the D2, Phantom has covered it well.

The visible lasers are not really used for NV, they can be if needed, but are very bright at close in targets which will cause donut bloom. Human eyes are most sensitive to the color green which is why NV phosphor screens are painted green instead of white. So using a green visible laser is observed in daytime better than red.

The downside to green visible lasers is they sometimes do not operate well in extreme cold weather below 32deg F vs. the red which are more stable in cold weather. The green vis lasers will start to flicker in these cold temps due to the crystals used in fabrication of the diodes.

Hope this helps.

Vic

Edit, Just saw Mr. B write his response as well (during my write)... Did not mean to Dupe some data. :)

Last edited:
I'm thinking about going with the OTAL for the following reasons:

1. It's lighter
2. It's cheaper
3. I always hunt alone, so I won't be pointing anything out
a partner and if I was, could use a hand held laser
or bore sighter (See below).
4. I can buy a laser bore sighter, center it in my barrel and
align the IR laser to it. It should be close.

Back