Federal Couragia tires

yotehunter57

Any body have any experience with them. I'm needing some new tires for the truck, and will buy no more
Radial Maxxis Mudders. I'll be lucky to get 15,000 miles out of this set of turds.

The Federals look good, but wonder how they last.

Shayne

I have no personal experience with these tires.
However, I've read great, good & bad reviews of them.
Most of the "bad" reviews were saying that after about 11K-13K miles, the tires were already down to 50% tread.

These were the M/T versions.

I seen a couple of sets that have premature dryrot. Other than that, I've seen others that last really well. Lots of people in these parts run those tires.

I may have to try some. My Maxxis Buckshot Mudders have 14,000 miles on them and may have 1/16 on a inch of tread left. And they have cracks all over them, and look like they will come apart any day.

I'm torn between the Federal Couragia mud grips and the Firestone mud tires.

No more than my truck sees the highway (500 miles a year maybe) it sucks they no longer make the old nylon Buckshots or the Grip Spurs.
Ride means nothing to me, I just need something that will pull in the mud and maybe last more than 15,000 miles.
And money IS a HUGE object!

Shayne

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeCheap mud tires aint worth buying.

100% agree.

Also, Mud Tires and Long Miles don't really go together.

I have 20K on. My Toyo MTs. They're likely to get 30-35k before they're junk. Very quiet and well mannered, but aggressive off road.

That's 1/2 and 1/2 city/highway. The surface street driving is terrible on tires. I tow a small camper (9500 lbs loaded) at 80 mph up and down Utah highways. Then up and down the passes and gravel roads to the camping/hunting spots.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeCheap mud tires aint worth buying.

100% agree.

Also, Mud Tires and Long Miles don't really go together.

I have 20K on. My Toyo MTs. They're likely to get 30-35k before they're junk. Very quiet and well mannered, but aggressive off road.

That's 1/2 and 1/2 city/highway. The surface street driving is terrible on tires. I tow a small camper (9500 lbs loaded) at 80 mph up and down Utah highways. Then up and down the passes and gravel roads to the camping/hunting spots.

I know how cheap tires are, but on my budget, $200-$250 per tire is about as high as I can go.

pahntr, not knocking your tires, but for mud, the Toyos have never really impressed me.
I'm not talking off road, Im talking half knee deep mud and gumbo depending on where I'm at.

For years I ran Centenial Mud Campaigners and then with probably 80% highway, they lasted 40,000+ and pulled like a tractor in the mud.

Any suggestions would be appreciated guys.

Shayne

I did have some Cooper Discoverer STTs. They were awesome. I had them on a 95 Jeep Cherokee and that thing went everywhere. Literally window deep mid pots, etc. it kept on trickin!

While I don't make it a habit of running mud, I do like the looks and they work when I need them. These have 25-30k on them and are proly at 50%, but we all know the second half doesn't last as long. They have been on some long highway trips too.

IMG_0875.jpg

When I bought my current p/u in '08, put a pair of the basic TSC Super Swampers on the rear (2WD, not 4x4).

I have run them, unintentionally, year-round the last 4 years.
They've got about 15K on them now.
And have about half tread left.
Granted, running them year-round like that, I've probably been lucky to get the mileage out of them that I have.
But, I also don't "abuse" them...(I don't intentionally go down muddy roads I shouldn't; ect.).

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeWhile I don't make it a habit of running mud, I do like the looks and they work when I need them. These have 25-30k on them and are proly at 50%, but we all know the second half doesn't last as long. They have been on some long highway trips too.

IMG_0875.jpg

I liked the 255/85/16 in the Mud Campaigners, but B.F. Goodrich ia about the only one that makes mud tires in that size. So I'm probably looking at 265/75/16
they are going on a 95 Chevy Z71

What are those Mud Terrains? Goodrichs'?

Shayne

I had BFG TA Mudders on my old Dodge W250.I think they were 33/15/16 or there about.Great for floating over sand but terrible on snow or ice.The snow packed in between the cleats.I think the same thing might happen in mud.

Okay, give me your opinions on mud tires.
I'm open to suggestions guys.
So far we've got; Toyo MTs, Cooper Discoverer STTs, Super Swamper TSCs, BFG MTs.

What else you guys got?

Shayne

My Dad runs Khumo Venture MT LT265/75/16, on the back of his old Ford F250.
I don't know how many miles he has on them, but he seems to really like them.
(The old truck is his 2WD "farm/daily driver p/u", so it sees a lot of highway, sand, mud (when it actually rains) roads. As well as a LOT of off-road/pasture driving.)

I don't remember what he puts on his '02 4x4 when needed.
(Unless the weather is really bad, he just runs his Michelin all-seasons.)

I have a set of 35" bfg mt's on my little yota. they have been pretty decent tires. they have seen tons of rocks and mud, and with a locker in the rear end they have some decent tread life. The truck isnt a mall cruiser either. Look at super swamper LTB's. they are tough as nails. 31x11.50-16's are bout 200 a pc. They dont make a tsc its a tsl.
Get on www.4wheelparts.com. Or www.ntwonline.com

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Widow maker 223I have a set of 35" bfg mt's on my little yota. they have been pretty decent tires. they have seen tons of rocks and mud, and with a locker in the rear end they have some decent tread life. The truck isnt a mall cruiser either. Look at super swamper LTB's. they are tough as nails. 31x11.50-16's are bout 200 a pc. They dont make a tsc its a tsl.
Get on www.4wheelparts.com. Or www.ntwonline.com

Hahaha,
Oops, I actually DID mean TSL.

Back