Good Short Day Hunt

daddyflea

Had nothing to do this morning so I got up and went hunting. It was day light already and I had to unhook the Horse Trailer, Hookup the Flatbed, then load the Mule. Needless to say it was long after Daylight when I arrived at my hunting spot. I knew this place pretty well and it is about 2000 acres. Most of it open fields. I went to a place along the South Edge and there was a good South Wind. This spot was a good Shotgun spot that I had killed Coyotes at before. I setup and played Luscious Lips on the CS24 and within three minutes I had a Coyote looking at me. I had forgotten my Ghillie Poncho in the truck and I felt exposed. The Coyote went down on the first shot at about 30yds with the Reloaded BBs. I changed to Hurt Pup and saw nothing. I then changed to JS Course Cottontail and had another one walking in. This one smelled the Gun Powder and started to run. I hit him with the BBs but he did not go down. He whirled and I hit him again which produced 2 spins then off across the fence into property I did not have permission to hunt. I counted him as down because he was hit hard. I continued calling and saw another Coyote. It was too far for the Shotgun but what was amazing was that I had shot three times before calling a third Coyote in to about 60yds. Never stop calling!!

P82A0016.jpg

First Coyote with my Shotgun

I then moved down about 500 yds and set up again. This time there was a Hog wire fence and Creeks all the way around. I sat down in some Grass and shielded the caller with the Fence. It worked a Coyote came from Upwind using JS Course Cottontail and crawled under the Fence. As soon as he stood up he saw the Mojo Puppy and froze. I hit him good with the BBs at about 35 yds. He went down but started to yip. I was just sure this would draw another Coyote but it didn't.

P82A0017.jpg

3 rd Coyote with Shotgun

Next stand was dry as was the third. I was mainly to blame for the third stand being dry. My Decoy fell and I walked back out to fix it. Then my Batteries ran down and I had to switch them out. This was the fourth hunt without recharging my batteries on the CS 24. Using a Yoders Den Bag carrying extra batteries you tend not to worry much about batteries. I got a call where my Daughter invited me to a late lunch so I looked for a last stand. I rode back toward my Truck and saw some Hay Bales. Hay Bales are always good for Coyotes. The Wind was pretty strong now so I devised a plan to set up an Ambush. There was heavy woods to the Right with Wind blowing from the open field to the Woods. I put my caller at the edge of the Open Field and moved back Down Wind 150yds. I got up on a Brush Pile where I could see over the High Grass when a Coyote came toward the Caller. Shortly playing DSG Cottontail. I saw a Coyote come out of the Woods. He was 100yds from the Caller when he threw up his Nose smelling my scent on the Caller. He messed up though he ran away from the Caller toward me.
P82A0018.jpg

This was 4 for the day and the only one with a Rifle.

HOMAnimated_zpsa2612f08.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
"Had nothing to do this morning so I got up and went hunting."

Wow, if I could start a 4-coyote day with a sentence like that! Not much left to complain about after that!
thumbup1.gif

Nice pic's too.

The fur looks better than what I would expect from the heat down there, or at least what I consider heat!

What the heck.

I had nothing to do and took off late. I just ended up soaking wet from all the dew on the weeds I walked through.

Awesome job!

Originally Posted By: littletoes"Had nothing to do this morning so I got up and went hunting."

Wow, if I could start a 4-coyote day with a sentence like that! Not much left to complain about after that!
thumbup1.gif

Nice pic's too.

The fur looks better than what I would expect from the heat down there, or at least what I consider heat!

You are right usually we are glad to see any hair at all in this area. I have not seen a Mangy Coyote for some time now, so they at least look healthy.

Guys I just noticed that second photo was taken during a bright day hunt at about 10:00 AM in the morning with a Camera Phone that does not Flash. This Coyotes eyes are shining. That is just plain Spooky.

Originally Posted By: ChupathingyAtta boy Danny! You're putting up some good numbers this year.

Chupa
'Just lucky hit them .at just the right time.

Back