Any body got a answer ?

.357 Hunter

I would like to make my own calls. Just for my own use . where can I get the materail to make the reeds ....example like the lil' dog calls....? I have a 5ft piece of 1.5'' cider dowel rod and acsess to a wood lathe and belt sander so thought I would make a few calls for myself...I looked up sheet plastic and the web only not to find much info.

There are places you can buy pre-punched die cut reeds (allpredatorcalls.com, gamecallsupply.com, etc) or any number of places you can get Mylar sheeting. Search for Mylar sheet and you'll find tons of info.

Just to play around with and get you started, take a look at that nearly indestructible clear plastic material that so many things come packaged in now days. It comes in several thicknesses, it's almost indestructible, it's every where ( especially with Christmas coming up ) and best of all, it's free...Dale

Originally Posted By: C_latransJust to play around with and get you started, take a look at that nearly indestructible clear plastic material that so many things come packaged in now days. It comes in several thicknesses, it's almost indestructible, it's every where ( especially with Christmas coming up ) and best of all, it's free...Dale

I re-reeded several calls when I was growing up with "packaging" plastic. Some of it is rather thick, so either it takes a lot of air to get it moving, or you have to sand it down a bit to thin it out (or of course, just go find thinner packaging). Thermal-form plastics will be heavier and stiffer than mylar, but they're definitely serviceable, and again, they're free.

Back