DPMS Prairie Panther accuracy?

Sqeak'em

Just a couple months ago I decided I wanted an AR 15 for calling coyotes since everyone I go with has bolt guns. So I decided to go with the DPMS Prairie Panther. The gun functions flawlessly!!! I put a Nikon M-223 3-12x42 scope on it and started hand loading for it. The problem is. I cant get anything to shoot consistant out of it! I tried 55 grain v-max and 52 grain HPBT and I will get a couple shots close then the next two or three are off 2-3 inches. I dont really want to have to go to a bigger bullet because of the 1 in 8 twist. I know there are many veriables but was hoping I could get some help on trying to get them narrowed down a bit. Thanks

How did it do with factory ammo ? If it was more consistent then it could be your loading/scale/powder, etc. Try a good match grade ammo from a solid rest/lead sled to eliminate that variable. Probably the easiest. Did you break in the barrel ? Some come with a real thick cosmo coating that needs to be cleaned out before break in. Then the whole scope and mount issue. Does the zero point stay the same other than the fliers ?
Good luck

Everything is tight as far as the scope is concerned. And it shot factory ammo okay but nothing great. About like the reloads. And I have probably 150+ rounds through it. And I measured all the powder drops and they were the same. When I did my test loads it shot 3 shot groups pretty good. So when I picked my load I was pretty confident. But when I went to sight it in yesterday I was dissapointed to say the least. I mean it was good enough to kill coyotes but putting the groups up beside my 22-250 it looked bad. Probably 1.5" groups at 100 yards.

What brand 52gr bthp are you using? I've been trying to get a load worked up for just about a year. Tryed every weight Vmax with four different powers. Best load I found is Sierra 52gr hpbt MatchKing with 24.7 gr of Ext. by Ramshot. I can get a .75 group. I have the same thing with 2 good and then a flyer. The other load I found is 63gr smp with 26.1 gr of 748 Win.

I was shooting the Hornady 52 grain HPBT. It shoots great out of my 22-250 so was hoping I could use the same for my AR. My next plan is to get a led sled and also try some different powders. I was going to try Varget but hear that it is to slow out of 223.

If this is your first ar it maybe just a lack of trigger time. My first one it took some range time to get into proper shooting form. If you change your cheek position it will affect you group. Also your trigger could be an issue. They are nothing like a bolt gun but you can get them pretty close. I know when I switch from a bolt or shotgun to an ar it takes me a few shots to get back in the ar mode again. If you have checked your scope and rings I would guess it is just a matter of needing more trigger time. I have shot 60gr vmaxes with good success in a 1/8 twist barrel.

Last edited:
My next move is probably going to be a trigger. I like the factory trigger as far as a hunting trigger but it is not near good enough for bench trigger.

Sqeak'em

There are a lot of guys on the PM forum who swear by Varget for 223 - this would be a good one to try. Benchmark is another good option, I've had good luck with it out my 1:8 twist RRA.

Bought on for my soon to be wife and she loves it will 55gr z-max 3/4" at 100. it took 100 to get it to settle down first few groups were having that problem.hope it helps

Give Varget a try.

I shoot a 222remmag in a bolt gun, and with a max load of Varget under a 55gr Combined Tech bullet, I get 3,480fps, and very good accuracy.

Okay! Thanks guys. I have some varget test loads loaded up so will give them a shot wednesday after work. And from the sounds of things I might have to try some benchmark also. But I really hope I can get Varget to shoot well. That way I dont have to have a bunch of different powders lying around

also try different primers. I've observed huge differences in groups sizes on several of my rifles using the same brass, bullets & powder but with different primers.

So far it's worked out that remington primers have been the worst by far, with winchester & CCI being pretty good with a slight edge going to winchester and best federal gold match. These tests have been done with large rifle.

For my AR I use winchester small rifle & they shoot good enough I never bothered to try anything else. I have not done a similar test with small rifle primers.

Yea that is the same primer I use. I used Winchester primers while reloading shotguns growing up so just stuck with those when it came to rifle reloading

Originally Posted By: NickNielsenTry UltraMax ammo and wouldn't be a bad idea to put in a drop in trigger. I put a Timney in and it was a world of a difference.

Bought a new S&W Tactical AR15 with the 16" barrel (including the flash supressor) and the factory trigger was horrible. Ordered the 3# Timney and it made a world of difference. Factory trigger was so bad I didn't even shoot it till the new trigger came in. I'm used to bolt action rifles with 2# triggers so whatever the S&W had wasn't going to work. Ammo wise I found the Ultramax 223R7 that is loaded with the 55 gr Nosler ballistic tip to be the best of everything I tried. Have a Leupold Vx-r 4-12x50 on it and am getting 1/2"-3/4" groups at 100 yards. Still not totally used to the feel of the rifle but it does like those bullets. Plus price wise they're a lot better buy than most of the ammo out there that's loaded with Nosler ballistic tips. Believe I paid around $28 for boxes of 50 at Cabelas. Used their $20 off coupon on $150 and got an even better deal! Personally I would like a little more velocity but for out to 200-250 it should do the job.

Can't say enough though about that trigger upgrade. And it's simple enough to do it yourself. Even some videos on youtube that will show you how easy it is.

Hey squeakster, my buddy and I both bought praire panthers last spring. Initially I used some factory ammo I had to break the barrel and didn't pay much attention to the accuracy to start with. Then I used handloads of 55gr. Nosler ballistic tips over a charge of 25gr. H335 with CCI small primers. We both have Nikon coyote scopes that are not good at shooting paper. With this load we are both having very good grouping even with those scopes and I would venture to say that I could shoot a half inch group or less with an M223. I also think the trigger is not bad for a factory trigger either, just took some getting used to. I also have a R15 and that rifle took at least 150 rounds to get any kind of accuracy and I replaced that trigger with a Timney. Now it shoots everything.

Back