Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#2354403 - 12/10/12 06:46 PM Re: Who feeds their dog red meat? [Re: J.W.]
Jesse lackey Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Michigan. Go Blue
can you explain how it could help? A few years back dog food had horse meat in it, did that make our dogs want to chase horses?

"six potato chips all at once? wow, guess he is gonna make a decoy dog!" hahaha just kiddin guys!

#2354420 - 12/10/12 06:59 PM Re: Who feeds their dog red meat? [Re: J.W.]
bparker Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Atchison, KS
I don't see how it could give them more hunt, but I don't know. I want to get a dog but I haven't had any luck finding a good one that's for sale.

#2354434 - 12/10/12 07:10 PM Re: Who feeds their dog red meat? [Re: J.W.]
the impactzone Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: texas
well it is common to train blood tracking/trailing dogs with deer blood and Liver , if the prize at the end is some tender liver, backstraps or hinds then its a prize and reward that will continue their prey drive, reguardless if its hog,deer or coyote, if she will eat it and enjoys it then that has to be better than find it but don't you eat it!

It is not uncommon for professional trackers to tell a hunter in advance that the tracking dog gets to eat anything they wants first from the shoulder mount down and do not try and interrupt them.
whats the difference between a few shakes and a tast? both are a reward for positive behavior and Instant gratification

just my thoughts

Edited by the impactzone (12/10/12 07:29 PM)

#2354437 - 12/10/12 07:11 PM Re: Who feeds their dog red meat? [Re: J.W.]
J.W. Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: oklahoma
I like my dogs to much to feed them a coyote.
Most of the time a coyote won't eat another
coyote.

Henry Ford

#2355146 - 12/11/12 11:01 AM Re: Who feeds their dog red meat? [Re: J.W.]
jglynn Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Southeast Oklahoma
I will stick to letting mine tear up a tail at the end of a trail.

Biting one and eating one is totally different to me. I dont mind Nuts wooling one around after a kill, and he loves it!! But there are way too many parasites there for me to let him eat it. Just take a look at my last vet bill!!!!

Coyotes can carry the same nasty viruses and parasites that kill dogs and they dont get vaccinated very often, unless I get them in the scope!

As long as my dog stays satisfied with a tail, he will get no more than a tail or wooling at the end of a hunt.

I am in no way calling myself a dog trainer, please don't get me wrong. But to me it is kind of against my morals to do that. Canabalism to me is wrong.

I mean, I will beat the [beeep] out of a guy and even bite him if I need to, but I will not eat him when I am done.

I have killed coyotes and left them in fields and come back a week later and not even the buzzards have ate them.

#2355163 - 12/11/12 11:26 AM Re: Who feeds their dog red meat? [Re: J.W.]
bparker Offline
Seasoned Member

Biting one and eating one is totally different to me. I dont mind Nuts wooling one around after a kill, and he loves it!! But there are way too many parasites there for me to let him eat it. Just take a look at my last vet bill!!!!

Did you feed him coyote and make him sick?

#2355165 - 12/11/12 11:30 AM Re: Who feeds their dog red meat? [Re: J.W.]
jglynn Offline
Die Hard Member II

I didn't!! Nor will I ever. But yes he has eatin on a coyote.

#2355224 - 12/11/12 12:46 PM Re: Who feeds their dog red meat? [Re: J.W.]
the impactzone Offline
Die Hard Member III

Dont get me wrong I'm not about to 1/4 one up to save on the food bill LOL,

but if I skin one out and she wants to nibble a little on the hams I'm ok with it I think she may be in as much danger of contracting the same dieses that can be transmitted by the fleas from shaking said coyote as from eating its meat? isn’t that how the plague spread?

now the Canabalism thing is something else, I once shot a ferral dog I found eating another road kill dog, thinking you sick baztard eating your buddy, then I thought

well it is a dog eat dog world and my belive wont change a thing about it.

I did do a googel on venison/beef and from a human stand point Venison is higher in Iron, and B vit lower in saturated fats and higher in protiens dont' know how that helps a dog? but seems to be better for humans

#2355346 - 12/11/12 03:36 PM Re: Who feeds their dog red meat? [Re: J.W.]
jglynn Offline
Die Hard Member II

Well, I guess if a dog is hungry enough it will eat anything.lol. I just can't see doing it. May not ever get sick from it, but I just dont want to find out.

Like I said earlier, I have killed coyotes and come back a week later and nothing has eatin them. That just tells me that they are nasty creatures.

When it comes to deer meat, it may not benefit them at all but they love it and it seems to keep them fat and their coats shiny. And when they are fat and happy, i am fat and happy.haha

Phil, I ain't trying to argue with you and get under your skin. Just stating my thoughts. Hope I didn't rub you wrong. If I did, I appologize.

I am just glad to see a post actually go somewhere and actually have a good discussion go on.lol

#2355357 - 12/11/12 03:46 PM Re: Who feeds their dog red meat? [Re: jglynn]
Redfrog Offline
Chairman of the Board

Loc: Palliser Triangle, Alberta
With coyotes being related to dogs, they carry the same diseases and parasites both external and internal that other canines do. In addition they are never wormed or vaccinated. Why expose your dogs to that risk?

#2355525 - 12/11/12 06:15 PM Re: Who feeds their dog red meat? [Re: jglynn]
the impactzone Offline
Die Hard Member III

Phil, I ain't trying to argue with you and get under your skin. Just stating my thoughts. Hope I didn't rub you wrong. If I did, I appologize.

I am just glad to see a post actually go somewhere and actually have a good discussion go on.lol[/quote]

no offence taken from you or anyone, I to am glad to see a post actually go somewhere as well with a good discussion we all learn reguardless if we agree

So I guess ferral hogs carrie more transmitable parasites and diseases, and here I just tossed the pup a frozen pig Icicle? she loves them and they last all day and keep her off everyting else in the yard

#2355567 - 12/11/12 06:58 PM Re: Who feeds their dog red meat? [Re: J.W.]
the impactzone Offline
Die Hard Member III

so I had to do it and google dog meat, there is a whole list of stuff on the nutritional value as well as a online store puppybeef.com that claims to raise FREE RANGE DOGS sounds like a coyote, LOL

Redfrog I understand your point and would not let my dog shake a mangie coyote much less eat on one but then again none of the deer or other wild game I hunt and eat have had any vac, or hormons or other groth additives in their diet.

to me this is all fun and I know more now than I did two days ago about the nutrititional value of deer, beef, horse, and dog.

go figure not like i could have this confersation at the local star bucks or bar for that matter

#2355614 - 12/11/12 07:38 PM Re: Who feeds their dog red meat? [Re: J.W.]
jglynn Offline
Die Hard Member II

i see the point about wild hogs. they are pretty nasty too.lol. i guess it just goes back to canabalism to me.

it prolly wouldnt make alot of difference, but when my dog was so sick he was puking coyote meat and fur. he was just sick to the point that i thought he may die. cost me alot of money at the vet. with the way parvo was spreading out there, it was just a matter of time before he could of caught it. either from another dog or from eating a coyote.

#2355650 - 12/11/12 08:00 PM Re: Who feeds their dog red meat? [Re: J.W.]
Duane@ssu Offline
Retired moderator

Loc: Gods Country
I have some thoughts on this topic. First off you can feed your dogs whatever ya want. As for diseases, anything that is not processed, you are taking a chance.I feed horse, beef, deer, elk, hog, the list goes on and on.I am willing to take that chance. I also vaccinate, regular, and worm every 21 days. As for feeding dogs dead yotes, after they are shinned???? If ya want to, and you have that much trouble paying your feed bill, make your own choice.
Feeding deer meet will not make dogs chase deer, feeding lion meat, will not make a better lion dog, feeding bear meat will not make a better bear dog.feeding a dog coyote meat, may or may not make the dog sick, but it will dam sure not make a better coyote dog. The whole theory is total "BS".
Don't beleive me?????????? Kill a deer, and smell it, then process the meat, and smell that. If they smell the same, you did somethin wrong.Most dogs will eat anything, once the hide is off, dogs don't know what kind of meat it is. I have never fed coyote meat to a dog, and my dogs work just fine for me, by the way,in 20 some years, I never had any trouble with Parvo, intertoxiemia, canine enchephilituos,mange, or any other disease.(my spelling may be off, but you get the point).
So feed what ya want, know the risk, and be willing to deal with the vet bills, vs. what ya saved in feed cost. But you dam sure ain't gonna make a better coyote dog, by feeding them the carcass of skinned yotes.

"IF YOU'RE GONNA TALK SMART,YOU BETTER RIDE A FAST HORSE"

#2355675 - 12/11/12 08:16 PM Re: Who feeds their dog red meat? [Re: J.W.]
bparker Offline
Seasoned Member

If you feed a dog coyote meat because you're trying to save money on dog food you don't need dogs. That's my opinion.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.