Who feeds their dog red meat?

J.W.

Just wondering if any feed red meat? If
So what do you feed? I have fed my dogs
Deer, hog and beaver but I don't feed it
all the time.

I integrate as much natural food into my dogs diet as I can. I cut every scrap off of all of the deer carcass', and also give them lots of fresh beef and game. I don't have access to near enough game to feed the whole year, but when I can I don't let it go to waste. Watch out for Salmon, that can kill a dog.

I also melt down pure beef fat, strain it, and jar it. I will pour about 2 Tablespoons over the dry food 3x a week. That, more than anything has made a difference in their entire look and energy level. The winter coats are looking better than ever, and the energy levels are off the charts.

Horse. Deer does little extra for a dog. You can substitute part of their diet with it to save money, but arent really gaining anything over dry dog food.

Beef is better, but horse is just about the best.

i feed alot of beaver and deer, cuase its what i have on hand the most. i have fed pork but dont like to. i have heard of guys feeding about everything before, jesse i have always heard horse was good to feed. shoot i have heard of guys feeding coyote meat, but i will spend money on dog food before i make my dog eat coyote, i like my dogs more then that

Last edited:
my dogs get fat on deer meat during season. everything i trim off goes to them along with any front shoulder that are shot and jellied up. the carcasses go to my favorite coyote spots. and when i clean out the deep freeze every year, they get most of that too.

I feed ,deer, elk, hog, beef, horse,antelope. Always raw, and part meat,fat, and bone. They seem to do fine on it. When we don't have meat, they get high qual dog food.

All my dogs eat is the food that is being prepared for our dinner table prior to it being cooked. Doesn't matter if it's chicken, beef, moose, or broccoli. My untrained eye says that it is way better for them than dog food. Their skin and coats look much better, they don't get the flying ax handles like they used to, and they aren't as gassy.

I feed my pug red meat. She has allergies, so red meat is her main staple. I also mix in a little rice or other whole grain and green peas or beans. I give her one Pet Tab a day to make sure she gets all the vitamins she needs. She gets a little taste of milk after her meals.

i know a dog can get fat on deer. shoot dogs can get fat on the remains of a garbage can, but it doesnt mean its doing them any good. im also not saying that deer is bad for them. all im saying is they arent getting anything that they would get from a good dry food. if stamina and endurance are top priorities, then there are better options than deer. Get your vets opinion on it. may tell you im wrong, but i have a feeling im not.

Ryan, do you debone the beavers, or just feed them whole?

jesse, all i do is cut the castors out and tie them to the fence, they wont leave nothing but the skull and hide, i do space them out, to much of it can work on their idneys or liver, i cant remember which, its real rich

i c. u dont take the hides? I guess they probably dont prime up very well, but still seems like they would be worth a few bucks, at least enough for a can of Copenhagen and a coke!

Thats real nice to "prep food" for your dogs, like its going on your plate. I got a dozen hunting and cow dogs, I live on ranch wages, and guiding.When I butcher, the food fit for humans, goes in the freezer, the dogs get the "tailings", that is fat, grizzle, and bone.They get it raw.If a dog wants "veggies", they can eat grass, it will be a cold day in .... when I put perfectly good peas, carrots or any veggie out for my dogs. Funny how guys with more dogs find a way to keep dogs just as heathy as guys with less dogs. Not saying it is wrong to make a dog supper ever night, just don't think we are wrong for feeding a pen of working dogs the way we do.30 years of working dogs I ain't starved one out yet.

Last edited:
Tanner, I feed 12 dogs loose, from 10 week old pups to my older studs. If ya wanna feed meat you sure can, get with me I'll share some ideas with ya.

ur dogs r nice and have manners. my yote hound pack will fight like [beeep]. its just the way they r. weve tried bones and stuff for their teeth and it just ends bloody

I get 40 to 50 lb cases of chicken chunks for about 20 to 30 bucks from a restaurant supply.I give it to him raw. When I am away the wife cooks it for him with seasoning and everything. Ill give him a beer once in a while but just one he is a biligerant drunk.

Tanner, no reseason your dogs can't have manners.I'm sure they got no more "bite" than mine. Just takes alittle work, you can feed pure meat and have no fights. Notsaying you are doing anything wrong, but I can help ya, if you want the help. You know how to get hold of me.

a little dry and the rest is hog, deer, an rabbits

cerrizoranchtrip016.jpg

Back