Remington 700 Classic 221 Fireball

JLJ223

There is one NIB at a local shop that I have been tempted on for a long while, I have a little extra cash now and was thinking about the possibility of snagging it. I was wondering what everyones thoughts on the Rifle/Cal were?? I am thinking about it for a predator/bench gun. I seem to remember back when it first came out people talking about accuracy/QC issues with the rifle, not sure if that was just talk or if there was real issues with the gun..anyways any thoughts or firsthand experience with the gun will be much appreciated.

Originally Posted By: JLJ223There is one NIB at a local shop that I have been tempted on for a long while, I have a little extra cash now and was thinking about the possibility of snagging it. I was wondering what everyones thoughts on the Rifle/Cal were?? I am thinking about it for a predator/bench gun. I seem to remember back when it first came out people talking about accuracy/QC issues with the rifle, not sure if that was just talk or if there was real issues with the gun..anyways any thoughts or firsthand experience with the gun will be much appreciated.

I have one. I had to have the barrel replaced, cuz the original was so poor - I put on a 26" heavy match and opened up the barrel channel in the stock.

The early ones had ejection problems, and would leave a empty cases in the action with annoying regularity.

Later production rifles had the ejector angle changed so the case would clear the action better - mine is about 95% reliable.

The rifle is great (if you get a late one) - my barrel was a fluke. Many others who bought one found the factory barrel to be very accurate.

I bouhgt one back when it was the classic for that year. I already had an Encore barrel chambered in .221FB at the time from Bullberry. I have since sold the Encore barrel & kept the 700 classic. It will shoot tiny little groups with Rel#7 & 40-50gr bullets. I consider it good for most small critters out to 250 yard range. I use mine for fox, groundhogs, coon, or any small critter that is in season.
I've never fired any factory ammo in mine, but if you don't reload, it may be tough to find factory offerings. It is rare to see a box of .221FB on shelves around here.

Whats not to like about the little fireball? No recoil, accurate, a pound of powder goes a long way. Besides the .221FB cartridge is just so dang cute.

HS

Last edited:
Like Cat said, "there's a potential for ejection problems" but I'd still take a chance on it.
That rifle really is one of the true "Classics" IMO.

As mentioned above, Re7 behind 40gr plastic tips are a deadly combination in most FB's.

Edit,,, if it shoots well but has ejection problems that become intollerable, you can always save the day by punching it out to 222.
Luck

Last edited:
22 Hornet and 221 both have their cool factor and are fun rounds for small furry critters, but the rimmed Hornet's no more guaranteed for accuracy and reliability than the 221 IMO.
Matter of fact, I'd put my money on the 221's accuracy and win 9 out of ten times.

Just saying.

I love the Furballs!

I have a CZ American that has taken boocoo ground squirrels and quite a few prairie dogs as well as a hapless and stupid coyote. A couple of years ago I bought a Adams and Bennett barrel from Midway in .221 ($100 on sale!) and screwed it onto a Savage action. Talk about a sweet shooter! A full size rifle shooting the little Furball round? Nifty keen is all I can say.

And there is no way that I would pick a Hornet over a .221 FB. The Hornet may have its place but if you want to drive a 40 grain bullet at over 3500 FPS (and stack them into a half inch at 100 yards) the Furball can do it but the Hornet cannot. Not even close.

I had a classic in 221 Fireball. For some dumb reason I traded it off and quickly regretted making that deal. I have always liked the 221 Fireball cartrridge and have owned several rifles and pistols chambered in it. Currently I have a 221 FB T/C Contender carbine, T/C Contender pistol, and a Remington LVSF, and I still would like to have that Remington Classic back.

I bought one as soon as they came out, and did have qc issues. the first one shot great, could not have asked for more, but when I went to reload the brass, I saw funny spiral lines on it. was not the die, took the gun to Hart's, a local gunsmith. turns out there were chatter marks in the chamber. could not be polished out, returned it, got another that did not shoot as well, so back again. got it back with a lapped barrel. still no good, so off to Bryant in Texas for a new barrel (kreiger), action job and bedding. Now one of the best shooting rifles I own. So I had quality issues, but the first one would have been good except for reloading the brass.
I would still buy one if I did not have mine.
Barry

Back