100 grain for 7mm rem mag question

champ198

just picked up a Remington 700 in 7mm rem mag on sale
still working on getting dies and so on for it. eanted to ask you guys about running a 100 grain bullet through it and if you all think a 1-9 twist barrel will stabilize that bullet or not just thought I might play around with some light weight loads with the 100 grain for a while.

It certainly should stabilize that small of a pill. Depending on the construction of the bullet, it may not work too well. If it is run like a hot rod, and the bullet is lightly constructed, you likely have problems with them spinning apart.

Never know, till you try it. I never played with anything smaller than 140s in mine. And only down to 120s in the 7-08...

ETA: They get some good reviews on Midwayusa.com (100 Sierra) for accuracy. I'd bet they turn woodchucks inside, out!

Last edited:
I think it will depending on what bullet. Mine is a 9.25 twist and will shoot the 120 Barnes pretty ok but they prefer bullets from 140-175. I started shootin 140 bergers and really like it. I still load 162 amax for shooting steel though

I think you'll be disappointed, that's to light of a bullet for the caliber. It will probably shoot well but for any hunting I think it will be a failure.

Originally Posted By: champ198Just picked up a Remington 700 in 7mm rem mag on sale. Still working on getting dies and so on for it, and wanted to ask you guys about running a 100 grain bullet through it and if you all think a 1-9 twist barrel will stabilize that bullet or not. Just thought I might play around with some light weight loads with the 100 grain for a while.
You won't have any problems stabilizing the smaller bullets in the factory barrel.

I'd look at the 120 Ballistic Tips first. They'll handle all the velocity you can dish out of the 7 mag, and beg for more. Plus they'll work fine for deer.

I load 100 grainers in my wife's 7mm-08. She has a savage with a 9.25 twist and I just picked a middle of the road charger for it loaded a few up and it shot well under moa so I just went with it and they have worked well for her for her coyote load. So I would see no reason you would have any different results!!!

I loaded 100 grain HP's for a Encore 7 mag. I killed a nice buck and he was DRT. I also shot a coyote in the face at about 135 yards, not a pretty sight! He was for sure DRT!

I think the Encore was a 10 twist, can't remember, but accuracy was excellent. The 7 mag barrel was about the only Encore barrel that actually shot good.

Last edited:
Id stick with 140s, you'll get more consistent performance from it and heavier bullets...

100g is way to light for a 7 mag.

If you must, id look at the vmax...It should shoot pretty dang good and give you the red mist your looking for on a dog...plus it wont come apart in bullet flight...

I'd stick with a 140g NBT for dogs and deer however to keep it simple
smile.gif

I developed an accurate 100 sierra load with H4831. For whatever reason, this load and my 168 berger load I developed in the summer is all of the sudden opening up. Will send the scope in for inspection. The 100 grain load was under MOA.

I would not bother if I were you. My bil shoots 120 grainers from his because he is a recoil wimp. If you plug in the ballistics, you get no advantage over the 140's and they are a lot less durable. You get way better efficiency with the 140+ grainers from a 7 mag.

If you just want to do it to see how it works, then go for it, but I don't think you will find it to be a good choice as far as performance.

Back