Highest wind you will call in at night

Widow maker 223

I have better luck getting the dogs to respond to my howls on calmer nights up to 5mph. Seems like its easier to get them to come in too. On nights iv hunted in 10-15mph dont have much luck at all. Yotes around my area are pretty wary critters.

suprisingly to me ive killed one or two in 20+ before at night.Did'nt plan on hunting but with limited time I decided to try.The bad think is they just appear you can hear them coming!

I see the same thing in general.

15mph would be my tops. Keep in mind that if the wind is blowing toward them at 15mph then the volume you were using at 5mph will sound louder to them at 15mph at the same distance.

Of course this depends on the other noises close to them created by the higher winds. Ie: the sound of leaves in trees near them may drown out some of your sound.

I start out at lower volumes in higher winds.

I say more wind the better,dont have to worry about sound getting to the stand,your scent gets dissapaited quickly and they have harder time seeing you move into position if you are up against woods and brush that are also moving.I crank up the caller to max.and use nothing but coyote vocals.

Went out last night 15mph wind. Got out of the truck to make a stand heard some yotes howling half a mile away. Drove around the block, snuck back along a ditch. Didnt even get thru pair yip howls on the fox pro and had 3 yotes 30yds away. Although they werent the same ones we heard. Buddy missed one, i did some ki yi's on m mouth call they came back but no shots. Then one was challenging me, we went back and forth and they left. The wind definitely helped us sneak in that close to them.

Went out in 10-15 mph winds tonight and got two to respond to coyote vocals from one stand . One coyote was up on the flats in the wind and one was down in a creek bottom out of the wind .

I went friday night and last night i had one fox friday night that my cousin missed and last night didnt see anything friday it was in the 50s and the wind was blowing 10to15 and very bright. Last night colder in the 20s wind was blowing around 15 to20 bright. I just hunt anytime i get a chance unless its raining.

10 to 15mph is normally my limit. Here in IL there are too many hills and hollows and higher winds makes the woods noisy. I do from time to time go out when winds are 15 to 20 and hunt bottom fields surrounded by wooded areas. Seems quieter in those areas. Kevin

I ve called very close to an interstate with cars zooming to my back and had luck calling...

ive been out with other members in high winds and the coyotes came screaming in at farm pastures..

Back