Remington R-15 Stock Help

Snipe Em

Well I've made my mind up. I'm selling my bolt action .22-250 and I'm going to buy a Remington R15 VTR Predator Carbine. The rifle looks like everything I want in a calling rifle and 2 of my friends have them and love them. My only deciding factor is which stock to get. I like the looks of the collapsible stock better but I've never had an AR and I'm not sure which one would be better. What is my best bet and why? I will be getting the 18" barrel model.

R-15VTRPredatorCarbine-prod.jpg

r-15vtrpredatorcarbine-cs-prod.jpg

I don't know which would be "better" but I simply prefer a adjustable stock. I like being able to adjust for different clothing and such. So...my vote is adjustable.

I would get the M-4 style stock, take it off then replace it with a locking adjustable stock that offers a better cheek weld like the MAGPUL STR.

When hunting I have found the adjustable stock much easier to manage while climbing, crawling, or bending to get under brush or fences.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies fellas. I just looked at the Magpul stock and it looks really nice. I don't know much about AR's and all the accessories you can buy for them but I really want to just buy a gun that is "ready to go" if you know what I mean. Where I hunt most shots are under 150yds and the reason I want the AR is for killing multiple coyotes. I've killed a few doubles with my bolt action gun but feel I could increase my kills with an automatic when 3 or 4 come in at the same time.

Of my arsenal, one AR has an A2 stock (20" SS Varmint bbl).

All others are adjustable. First manufacturer to come out with an adjustable replacement stock for Bolt action rifles gets my money!

Originally Posted By: Heretic First manufacturer to come out with an adjustable replacement stock for Bolt action rifles gets my money!

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/axiom-ul-rifle-stock,220,1447.htm

Last edited:
I prefer the A2 on my hunting gun. I've used both and i like that the A2 doesn't have any wobble like my adjustable one did. Like they said though it was nice being able to adjust it in the field for cloths or i've found myself in akward hunting positions sitting up against a tree before where is was nice to be able to bring it in.

I feel like the fixed stock is a much more stable shooting platform. (I bought the fixed stock R-15 carbine) I cant say that Ive had a lot of comfort issues when wearing a lot of clothes either....I can say that I can see where the adjustable stock would help you out with the tacticool aspect of the gun.

Only one of my ar's has a non-adjustable stock and that is the r25. I have not found an adjustable stock that I like. 2 have the magpul prs stocks and 3 of them have the operator stocks and I really like them when it gets cold out or when the kids go hunting with me. Yes they do have a little flex in them but they are not bad. If I am shooting from the bench and most of MY hunting I use the prs. I did not mind the A2 but wanted something different.

I have the R-15 carbine in .223 with the A-2 stock. Try carrying the carbine and then the rifle in one hand as when you were walking.
Even with a Harris bipod on mine balances too far back to suit me. It only bothers me when I forget my sling.
I think that the rifle would balance better when carrying if that matters to you. I like the A-2 stock.

Building my first AR, went with a fixed stock, feels solid, great cheek weld, can't go wrong. Go try some guns out with the fixed and adjustable stock. How do they feel when you mount the gun, choose what is most comfortable for you.

I have AR's set up both ways, but prefer the feel of a fixed stock. I agree pick whichever one feels most comfortable to you.

The coyote said the ADJ stock like this one. I shorten it one click before this guy showed up. It's always right I have A2 stocks too but the R-15 carbine is about all I use because it always fits.
MB

Resampled952012-11-279517-10-0795592.jpg

If you like to shoot off a bench with a rear bag, the adjustable R15 is a pain to position a bag.

Last edited:
Back