243 87 gr Hornady hollow point w/ IMR4350

stubbicatt

Anybody have a solid load using the 87 grain hollow point bullet from hornady?

I reckon one of these days I'll get to the range and use the "ladder method" of arriving at a load, but until then, maybe one of you guys has a solid load for this combination I can load up about 20 rounds or so for end of week coyote hunt...

87 gr VMax here, but you get the idea...

0641d18c99cd0a3d08f4f6fe8242b22f.jpg

87 Gr. V-MAX IMR 4831 powder 43.5 grains, CCI 200 primer in a Winchester case, seated @.010" from rifling.

Do Not be foolish and just load this recipe up and go shoot. Any pet load given should be worked up just like any other load. It is safe in my rifle but may not be safe in your and it may not shoot worth a dam for you.

Originally Posted By: stubbicattAnybody have a solid load using the 87 grain hollow point bullet from hornady?

I reckon one of these days I'll get to the range and use the "ladder method" of arriving at a load, but until then, maybe one of you guys has a solid load for this combination I can load up about 20 rounds or so for end of week coyote hunt...

I used that combination for quite a few years back in the day and it performed well in both the .243 Winchester and the 6mm Remington. Can't remember exactly what my powder charge was but it wouldn't matter anyway because of course you would need to work up to a max charge in your gun and then go sight-in after you established an accurate and safe load. Just an FYI that it was easy for me to find an accurate load with that combination and the old style Hornady 87 gr. BTHP performed well on coyotes.

I just finished a load with IMR-4064 powder and the Berger 87 VLD's earlier this year for my Tikka T3 Lite in 243win.

37.1, 37.7, and 38.4 all shot well, where I think the books may have suggested 37.1 was about 'max load'. You definitely need to start lower and work up in your specific gun, preferably at highest possible temps.

But my 'final' for this powder/bullet combinations was:

Berger 243cal 87 VLD bullets
over top of 38.4 IMR-4064
Fed210 Gold Medal match primers
Nosler custom brass
2.795" COL

This load would have to be 3100+ fps, but I haven't chrono'd it yet. More than accurate enough for a deer load.
I may have ended up at 37.1 if only target shooting.

Start lower and work up. There are few textbook loads out there that will be universally good for everybody. You could find your perfect combination at .1 to .3 or .4 of either side of the charges I'm telling you worked best in my gun.

Thanks for the input. I do not know the twist of my barrel, it is something I will have to discover. Even if it is a slow twist, it stabilizes 100 grain bullets just fine, factory Winchesters. No keyholes or anysuchthing.

I hate load development, but I guess I'll just have to do it.

For now I have settled on IMR 4350 powder, as just like IMR 4895 for 308, this seems to be the pretty much recognized standard powder for 243. I have Varget and RL15, and may try to experiment with them somewhere down the road, but for now I just want a consistent and relatively accurate load for my carbine.

I shall also have to weigh brass, as I have shot Federal and Winchester factory cartridges in this rifle, the Federal weighs quite a bit more, and will need to compare it to the Lapua brass I bought.

Back