Reloading 35 Remington

I did quite a bit of reloading for the .35 Remington when I was younger. I owned a TC Contender barrel in that caliber and it shot exceptionally well with accuracy and power. I had a carbine barrel cut down to 16 1/4 inches and it was a beauty. I am sorry I sold it off but to your question.

I shall relate a short hunting story about using the 35 Remington Contender. I was on my friend's property in NE Connecticut hunting deer. As I walked down the main road a big tasty doe crossed in front of me and stood broadside to me at 30 yards. I had a clear shot and lined up the red dot on her chest. Then I squeezed the trigger.

CLICK.

The gun did not go off and she ambled off into safety. What happened? Well the 35 Remington has a very short neck and shoulder. What happened was that I used some reloaded ammunition and switched Contender frames. I shot my 35 Rem barrel and sighted in then switched to a different frame that had a butt stock ( at the time Connecticut was a no no for deer with a handgun) and that difference created greater headspace so the firing pin spent much of it's energy pushing the loaded round into the chamber vs. igniting the primer.

When reloading you need to get some powdered graphite and a little tray. Dip the case necks into the powdered graphite and use that as a guide to neck size the cases. You want to size the case to the point just to the point where the neck meets the shoulder. That way the firing pin will put all of it's energy into the primer rather than lose it pushing the round into the chamber.

I recall handloading and I believe I loaded up some 180 grain Sierra SSP( single shot pistol) bullets with a max load of H322 powder. I recall getting somewhere around 2165 fps out of that 16 inch barrel across the Shooting Chrony.

I wish you well with the .35 Remington. It is a fine round if you take care with some details in reloading.

I load the 200gr Core-Lokt with H4895, I have 2 load that shoot awesome, 38.5grs and 40.5grs H4895. I use RCBS dies and a Lee FCD.

I load 38.5gr IMR 4895 under 200gr Hornady RN. This is for a Rem 141.

I can't remember what I used to load in my Marlin 336. I'm pretty sure I used the same bullet/powder.

Another cool load is 180gr Cast Performance WFNGC. Again, 38-38.5gr IMR 4895. They shoot a bit flatter and penetrate deeper, but still make a pretty good sized hole.......

I have loaded for my XP-100, Marlin 336 and 10" Contender.
There are spec for loading rifle and pistol do not mix them up. Pistols can not take a rifle load. I like to load 158gr 357 bullets for my handguns.

I have always used RCBS dies. If you load for a rifle with a tube magazine, You will need to crimp. I like the Lee crimp die, well worth the $15.

My Marlin is the first model 1952 with Ballard rifling it loves lead bullets.

The 35 Remington is a good whitetail stopper.

I've used my 35 Reminton in a Marlin 336C for a number of years and truly have confidence in it and my loads. I use a Spear 180gr. FN in their Hot Core, with 37.5 grains of h-335 powder with a Magnumn primer. I shoot in a woods enviroment so my shots will usually be 75 yards and less, mostly less. I've had only one deer travel 20 feet since it was shot, usually they drop in their tracks.
Hopw you enjoy your rifle, i do mine.

I bought a Marlin 366 rifle, and I want to load for it, but after looking at what is available in bullets, I think I will load pistol bullets, cuz the target is feral pigs, and I "think" the 200gr Core-Lokt might have too tough a jacket, and punch through.

Anyone here use 357 Mag pistol bullets in the 35 Rem?

Although it was not a 35 Remington my carbine length 357 max shot 185 gr hard cast FN GC Beartooth bullets exceptionally well. A hammer for deer inside 100yd. No leading

Last edited:
I remember reading that and thinking they all seemed to penetrate close to same and retain same amount of weight, in general, of course.

I also remember being a bit disappointed that the Hornady 200gr roundnose was not included. That is what I mostly load now. Some say they penetrate deeper and do not expand as well/reliably. I'm not so sure.......

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunI remember reading that and thinking they all seemed to penetrate close to same and retain same amount of weight, in general, of course.

I also remember being a bit disappointed that the Hornady 200gr roundnose was not included. That is what I mostly load now. Some say they penetrate deeper and do not expand as well/reliably. I'm not so sure.......

The 200gr Hornady RN was tested in part 2.

The 200gr Core-Lokt seems to be the cream of the crop in the 200gr range from that test.

Originally Posted By: CatShooterI bought a Marlin 366 rifle, and I want to load for it, but after looking at what is available in bullets, I think I will load pistol bullets, cuz the target is feral pigs, and I "think" the 200gr Core-Lokt might have too tough a jacket, and punch through.

Anyone here use 357 Mag pistol bullets in the 35 Rem?

I have and still do for my XP-100. I load 158gr jacket hollow points. They shoot great in my Marlin and my XP. I have been wanting to try some semi-wad cutters.

Back