Coyotes keep digging up my set-

KATTRAKER

Well I set my second ever dirt hole set on Sunday. Nothing on Monday. I went out and checked on it today, and found this-

1353427881.jpg

1353427897.jpg

I thought my bedding was a little shaky when I set it. The entire affair pissed me off a bit so I went to my farm road and resolved to do a better job.

I thought if I used the cut bank as backing it would be fairly easy to dig...WRONG. It was like digging in dured cement.

Picked this spot for dirt hole. The trowl was a great aid in this hard clay

1353427922.jpg

1353427935.jpg

I used a Bershire anchor. I had a hard time getting my driver back and bent it in the process. If I ever get a coyote in this trap, it ain't going anywhere.

1353427947.jpg

I spent an extra 10 mins working on the bedding. The hard clay made it easyier than the field I have been working. I can say with confidence this one is bedded very solid.

The final product with bait in the hole and fox urine on the backing. I want to even up the score...
1353428002.jpg

if they are digging your trap, 9 times out of 10 it wont be sprung, just pulled out of the bed, a coon will flip your trap when they dig one out, was your trap set off when you found it? your waxpaper might have thrown the paw out of the trap when it shut if the paper was over the jaws. when using any kind of pan cover, be it waxpaper or screens, make sure they are under the jaws or they will throw the paw out.

one of two scenarios likely:

1. smart coyote that has experience with traps.. usually an older female... she is diggin at the sifted dirt... she has learned that sifted dirt means a trap

2. trap not bedded solid... this is most likely the case

When I found my trap it was sprung. The first one had coyote hairs in it, I had at least a partial catch.

This one was sprung but no evidence of a catch. It was set near the first one. And I don't think it was bedded solid enough.

The one I set yesterday is SOLID and if a dog hits the pan I should have him.

This is more like a field goal than a touchdown, but at least I am on the board-

1353514066.jpg

His foot was dead center on the pan and he wasn't going anywhere. One less to breed this spring, and I would rather have to deal with him away from the house anyway.

I am thinking about starting a pool for people to pick the exact date I actually do catch a coyote....winner take all.

roller is one that will lay down and roll on your set if your trap is contaminated or you got lure or bait on the pattern when making the set, the trap trips and catches and pulls back hair out, the hair on a leg of a yote is shortlike a labs hair on its leg, if you get fluffy furry hair, its a roller and not a pull out.

derr season will affect them big time, with all the gut piles out there to eat on, they wont be easy to trap for a week or two. I pull or set off all my sets during deer season, since for some reason the deer hunters cant get it in their head it is illegal to shoot a trapped animal with out permission and them slugs really will do some damage to the pelt
cursing.gif

Most likely bedding issue. When you bed your trap, before you sift use your finger to push on the jaws, levers, etc. Try to dig your trap bed just large enough to fit the trap in snug.

Some lures will cause a canine to roll on a set, especially if it is on the edge of the hole or not down a deep enough hole to make them work the set correctly.

Good luck

Back