Point Blank Shots Finish Off Teen Intruders

azmastablasta

While I can understand the old boys frustration levels he turned a good shoot into murder. They should add a few years to his sentence to cover stupidity.

Charges: Point-blank shots finished off wounded teen intruders

A 64-year-old man was charged Monday with murdering two teenagers who broke into his home on the outskirts of Little Falls, shooting each of them at close range in the head after having already wounded them.

Article by: CURT BROWN AND PAUL WALSH , Star Tribune staff writers

Updated: November 26, 2012 - 4:17 PM

LITTLE FALLS, MINN. -- A 64-year-old man was charged Monday with murdering two teenagers who broke into his home on the outskirts of Little Falls, shooting each of them at close range in the head after having already wounded them.

Byron David Smith was charged in Morrison County District Court with two counts of second-degree murder without premeditation in the killings of Nicholas Brady, 17, and his cousin Haile Kifer, 18.

The criminal complaint says that Smith shot the two as they came down his basement stairs several minutes apart on Thanksgiving Day. The complaint adds that he shot them numerous times.

He then waited a day before asking a neighbor to alert authorities about what he had done, the document added. Smith showed investigators the bodies, was arrested and has remained jailed since.

Smith appeared for a 10-minute court hearing late Monday morning wearing an orange jumpsuit, his hands and feet in shackles. Bail was set at $2 million, with the prosecution noting the defendant's extensive travels to Beijing, Bangkok, Moscow and elsewhere overseas while he was working for the U.S. State Department.

In asking for the high bail figure, County Attorney Brian Middendorf said the incident was a case of cold-blooded murder. "The circumstances are appalling and far beyond any self-defense claim," he said.

Sheriff Michel Wetzel told reporters Monday afternoon that Smith explained to authorities that he didn't call immediately after killing the two because "it was Thanksgiving. He didn't want to trouble us on a holiday."

As for whether Smith could be justified in shooting intruders, Wetzel said that a citizen does have to right to protect person or property, but it has to be reasonable.

What Smith did "went further than the law. It doesn't permit you to execute once the threat is gone."

Defense attorney Gregory Larson declined to comment after the hearing, saying he wanted more time to study the case.

About a dozen family members of the teens attended the hearing.

One of Brady's aunts, Sarah Schaeffel, said after learning of the details from the scene that "Nicholas was smart, and he knew right from wrong. Kids are kids, and they all do stupid things."

Smith "could have just held them there and called police," said Schaeffel, of Apple Valley, who is a sister to Brady's mother and was not at the hearing. "The only people who know the truth are these two kids and the guy who shot them."

At court in support of the defendant was friend John Lange, who said Smith had been targeted at least six times for break-ins and doesn't deserve to be in jail for protecting his home. "They tortured him and targeted him, and it's not good," Lange said. "One time alone would be too much. It's terrible."

The Sheriff's Office said it has received only one previous report of a break-in at the home, in October, and there have been no arrests in that incident.

According to the complaint, Smith told investigators:

He heard glass breaking around noon Thursday while he was in the basement. It was the latest of several break-ins that he's experienced. Brady started coming down the stairs, and Smith shot him with a rifle by the time he saw the intruder's hips.

Brady fell down the stairs and was looking up at Smith when the homeowner shot him in the face.

"I want him dead," Smith explained to the investigator for the additional shot.

Smith put Brady's body on a tarp and dragged him to an office workshop.

A few minutes later, Smith heard footsteps above him. As in Brady's case, Kifer too started down the stairs and was shot by Smith by the time he saw her hips, sending her tumbling down the stairs.

Smith attempted to shoot her again, but his rifle jammed, prompting Kifer to laugh.

Upset, Smith, pulled out a revolver he had on him and shot her "more times than I needed to" in the chest, he said.

Smith dragged Kifer next to Brady as she gasped for her life. He pressed the revolver's barrel under her chin and pulled the trigger in what he described as a "good, clean finishing shot" that was meant to end her suffering.

Smith acknowledged leaving the bodies in his home overnight before calling a neighbor to ask about a lawyer and to request that authorities be notified.

Tessa Ruth, an aunt of Brady, was at the hearing and said she wished Smith had fired a warning shot or called police instead of shooting. "It wasn't right for them to be there and, yes, he had a right to defend himself. But to execute them like that . . ."

http://m.startribune.com/news/?id=180853761&c=y

2 more reports on the same crime.

http://www.gadailynews.com/news/local/14...g-shooting.html

http://kstp.com/news/stories/s2844917.shtml

This goes way beyond stupidity. This was evil. He executed two prisoners. Even soldiers in wartime aren't allowed to do that. If anyone deserves the needle, this guy does.

Originally Posted By: tnshootistCheck into it Ivers.Don't they sometimes let civilians kill them.Maybe you could get the job.

You support a guy shooting a wounded intruder laying on the floor point blank in the face to finish him off, and then execute his girlfriend when she comes down the stairs?

If that is what you are saying, then you are one mentally unstable sick SOB.

you shoot to stop the threat. if you kill them in doing so, fine. but if they're still alive & not a threat, that changes things. once they're not a threat you don't have the right to kill them.

Originally Posted By: IversOriginally Posted By: tnshootistCheck into it Ivers.Don't they sometimes let civilians kill them.Maybe you could get the job.

You support a guy shooting a wounded intruder laying on the floor point blank in the face to finish him off, and then execute his girlfriend when she comes down the stairs?

If that is what you are saying, then you are one mentally unstable sick SOB.

I think he's trying to say you could administer the needle. To the old man.

Well, if that's what he's saying, then that's fine. I wouldn't have a problem with it. Some people just need to be put down like rabid dogs. Anyone that could do what he did is too dangerous to be left alive. I've read other reports with his statements about what he did that have more information. This guy is no different than a serial killer.

Ivers you are so blood thirsty and I bet you have never administered a smack on the but to a barking dog.you are so full of hot air I can't stand it.You are an expert on everything that comes up no matter what it is.You would b so happy to push the needle on another human based on what you read somewhere.Until you have taken a life and lived with that why don't you shut you stupid mouth.An I am not talking about pushing a button while you hide behind a curtain.As far as your opinion of me,well you got a lot of keyboard guts.
Edit:As far as what should happen to the shooter,I did not give my opinion if you noticed.I was not there.I have heard no statements under oath by anyone.I am not willing to say someone should be killed because of what was written in a tabloid.If I am ever in trouble I hope none like you are on the jury.I would hope for some who would reserve judgement till they really knew something.God help a person if he gets a jury who knows everything there is to know about every thing in the whole world before he hears a word in court.

Last edited:
tnshootist, if you support what this guy did, you are as much a psychopath as he is. He dispatched 2 people the same way I've dispatched thousands of coons I trapped. But those were coons, not people.

You need some professional help.

If I were on a jury, based on the man's own statements to police that have been quoted in the press, I'd convict for 2nd degree murder for the guy, and 1st degree murder for the girl. That last shot under the chin to finish her off, after moving her when she was still alive, was not heat of the moment. That was premeditated murder.

I have never,in spite of your lies,said I supported what anyone did.All I said is I don't believe I am ready to take anyone's life based on what I read in the "Press"You don't know anything except what you read,yet based on that you are busting to kill someone.And you call me sick?As for my mental state,the last eval I had found me to be sound.In fact the examiner said I was the sanest man he had ever met.How about you?Have you had one done lately?You are a stupid man.Coon killer!!What a cold blooded killer you are!You are the kind of cold blooded killer who can kill a trapped coon and never bat an eye.That sure sends a chill down my spine.Again,one more time,I never said at any time I support what this man did.I don't know anything about what he did except what is written by who knows who.You are the one ready to take a life based on what you read,not me.

Then perhaps you live in a sheltered world.You admit from your writings that all you know is what you read and you believe every thing you read.This all started because I was amazed at your desire to kill someone.Why do you want to kill so bad?If you are ever anywhere close to east tn come stand in front of my house and call me a sob,see how that works out for you.

that guy is a psychopath! I could see shooting them but seeing they are unarmed and than finishing them off?

also I dont know what you 2 are arguing about here but the only one who said anything about ivers killing anything other than coons was you tn??

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tnshootistIf you are ever anywhere close to east tn come stand in front of my house and call me a sob,see how that works out for you.

What can we do to make this happen? I'll shoot video of the action.

Winner will take on woodguru. This is gonna be huge!

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesOriginally Posted By: tnshootistIf you are ever anywhere close to east tn come stand in front of my house and call me a sob,see how that works out for you.

What can we do to make this happen? I'll shoot video of the action.

Winner will take on woodguru. This is gonna be huge!

LOL
smile.gif

I agree with the folks calling this guy a psychopath...he should not ever be allowed back on the street. To execute that young girl in that manner was sadistic.

Back