6.5 Grendel AR-15, or .243, or 260 AR-10

Dust

I have really wanted a Grendel for almost a year now, but after pricing things, a 243 or a 260 is not that much more. Ammo for the 260 is more, but the 243 is within a few cents of the Grendel ammo. I was looking at the AA 20" rifle, and the DPMS-LR series is a little cheaper, depending on seller. With the lighter version, the AR-10 evens weighs the same. I was told that to get the best out of the .243 it would need a longer barrel. I don't plan on it being an everyday 10 mile carry, but I don't plan on it being a bench beast either. Maybe "prone" would be the best word for it. Use would be for long range predator, and closer range deer and pig.

Thoughts on the 243 barrel, or on the 6.5G vs 243 vs 260?

The LR243L I had was a shooter it had an 18" barrel and the factory muzzle break. It was loud and heavy yet handled well.The recoil wasn't bad. The 243 is an overbore to start with and I think it is better served with more barrel. DPMS just changed that rifle to a 20" without the break that should help. Had a R-25 in 243 also it was way too heavy for my liking. I ordered a 6 DTI upper it will be much lighter and close to the same performance as the 243. You can't get factory ammo for it but I shoot reloads anyway just don't forget them.
MB

Last edited:
I just finished my Grendel build.... $3k later, I still dont have optics on it yet

[img:center]http://utahwildlife.net/forum/download/file.php?id=23966&t=1[/img]

One thing I learned after this build was almost complete, was that no one locally sells Grendel brass. A few places sell factory ammo, but no brass......

Havent shot it yet, so I cant tell you if it is fun or not. But the rifle does feel nice in my hands

Love my 6.5/.264. Light, accurate, plenty of choices for ammo (but i handload anyway) works gear long or short range, got into my build for around 700. So far taken 1 whitetail and one yote with it. Only one hunting season so far

Grendel fan here, but the other options sure have plenty of merit, as well. The biggest reason I like the grendel is how handy it is. My 7 yo daughter shot her first deer with it and kind of likes to think it is hers. Accurate, light, handy, and not much recoil to speak of. Good luck with your choice, if it is too tough just get 2 lowers and an upper in each.

I think all the rounds you have listed have their place. Grendel great bullet and can be had in a more convenient platform of the ar-15. The 243 great bullet for predators proven track record tons of factory ammo. Heavier platform less interchangeable parts. 260 another long standing round great long range capabilities but draw backs are the same as the 243. This isn't to say that you can't have a 8-9 pound ar10 just have to pick your components a little more carefully. If it was me and I didn't have a budget I would go with a lighter contour 20" 243 with and lightweight handguard and a ace stock. Plenty if knock down for yotes and deer, factory ammo everywhere and if I wanted to reload great 6mm bullet selection. Also I could hit "long" range shots if I wanted to.

As stated the ar 10 is heavier. I look at what I call fade rifles. Which ones stay in possesion and which ones get sold after a yr. or so. My opinion is the 260. Have it built right, where you will not be disapointed, that happens with a lot of rifles. If you reload, factor in on how finiky some can be and some just shoot certain gr. bullets.

Originally Posted By: claimbusterLove my 6.5.

Luke, Hornady brass is usually available on line.

Yeah, but I really like to buy things locally. More so because I dont want to pay for shipping.

I found some unfired Alexander Arms brass for a screamin' deal so I bought 200 pieces the other day. And that made up for the shipping.

Oh, and I'm impatient....
frown.gif

I am a Grendel fan also. I just finished mine ad love it. I have handled AR-10s and don't like the weight and bulkiness I them. I haven't started loading for mine but the 123 amax factory load shoots moa so I'm using it for now.
Here is what I ended up with.
B3322E74-7B25-4A5F-9540-1D605A394505-284-000000B9EAB5A8A5.jpg

My 20" .264LBC has a muzzle velocity of 2600+ fps with a 123 grain Amax (the .510 bullet not the .485 version) and holds a 1000 ft/lbs. out to 400+ yards. I have a 4-12 Nikon Pro-staff Mil-Dot reticle on it. With the help of Nikon's Spot on software and a 180 yard zero, I am 1.2" high at 100 yards and the mil-dots are very close to being set to 300, 400, 490, and 600 at the bottom post.

All your choices are at their best with 24" barrels and the .260 maybe even 26". My choice would be the .243. If you plan on an ar15 in .223 you'll need to go with the grendel because they use the same lower.

I have an 18" Kies .264 lbc upper and love it. I haven't shot it past 200 but it's fractional MOA at 100 and 200.

Brass is pretty reasonable. Last couple of years AA has had a sale around labor day - $55/100. Regular price is low $70s. Max powder charges are in the upper 20/lo 30 grain range (about 15gr lower than a .243Win) so a pound goes a long way.

If I had to do it again, I'd buy another one. The only change I'd make is a 22" barrel. The attraction of the AR platform for me is the size of the rifle, mags, the low (efficient/cheap) powder charges, and the light recoil.

Once we get into the .473" bolt face .308 family calibers, I go with bolt actions. You can put a .260 (or whatever) together using a donor savage/stevens action for about half what an AR would cost.

Last edited:
I shot one of Scott's 6.5 Grendel's at the 2011 hunt, was a sweet shooting rifle. Been dreaming about getting him to build me one ever since.

Back