Diaphragm split new howler suggestions.

cec

So the reeds on my tc pup howler split so im looking for new howler suggestions. The diaphragm did a great pup distress but never could make a great howl with it, not the calls fault im sure was mine. looking for a realistic sounding howler that is not going to take forever to learn. Thanks for the help!!

Just curious, why aren't you going back to a TC? (MFK)

I'm not a huge user if diaphragm calls, prefer hand calls honestly over diaphragms, although I like to think I can use dia's very well. Will Horting makes a great horn howler, and if you're looking with someone with some history in the biz behind them, Rich Cronk is still turning them out too. I don't have one personally, but I hear great things about Tony Tebbe's horn howlers as well.

I picked up a set of TC's at a garage sale a while back, the gal selling them thought they were her husband's turkey calls. I've been tempted to get a few MFK's, but haven't been so motivated about them.

Main reason is I couldnt seem to howl very well with it, second is that it split in less then a year with not very much use.

I use diaphrams a ton for elk calling. Can't seem to reliably get rid of the pitch breaks for howling though. None the less, diaphrams do tend to dry out and the latex tends to split if they set out without much use.

The key to making diaphragms last is keep them in the fridge when not in use. If you leave them sit in the truck or anywhere where its not cool the latex will heat up and break down and eventually split. As for using them the only real advice I can give is practice practice practice.

I forgot to mention in my first post, Will Horting is Canislatrans54 on here, NCK calls (North Central Kansas). I just picked up one of his cowhorn howlers a few weeks ago in a contest Will offered on here, real stand up guy, really nice call with a great sound.

I've had my MFK pup howler for over a year and have had no durability issues, but I also store it properly. I'm by no means an expert caller, but howl good enough to fool coyotes and that's good enough for me. For the price and performance I don't see how they can be beat.

This doesn't apply to everybody's taste, but some guys (like myself) like their calls to be as attractive to look at as they are functional. I wouldn't put a rubber glove in a display case...

Pretty don't kill. Not saying pretty calls don't sound good. Heck I've got an ammo can full of pretty calls that I never use. But I would rather have the best sound available rather than have something that looks good and has ok sound. Different strokes for different folks.

Originally Posted By: cityslickerI've had my MFK pup howler for over a year and have had no durability issues, but I also store it properly. For the price and performance I don't see how they can be beat.

MFK game calls cant be beat. There is a reason why so many people have been killing all kinds of predators with them. Realistic sounding calls...made for killing
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorThis doesn't apply to everybody's taste, but some guys (like myself) like their calls to be as attractive to look at as they are functional. I wouldn't put a rubber glove in a display case... Who puts their calls on display anyway??? As long as the call gets the job done I dont care what it looks like.Dont see to many world champion callers walking around with horn howlers do you?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cecSo the reeds on my tc pup howler split so im looking for new howler suggestions. The diaphragm did a great pup distress but never could make a great howl with it, not the calls fault im sure was mine. looking for a realistic sounding howler that is not going to take forever to learn. Thanks for the help!!

Watch the videos if you want some howling tips. If I had to guess your blowing to hard. Keep pressure on the call as well. I wouldn't give up...

Originally Posted By: NY Yote28Originally Posted By: cecSo the reeds on my tc pup howler split so im looking for new howler suggestions. The diaphragm did a great pup distress but never could make a great howl with it, not the calls fault im sure was mine. looking for a realistic sounding howler that is not going to take forever to learn. Thanks for the help!!

Watch the videos if you want some howling tips. If I had to guess your blowing to hard. Keep pressure on the call as well. I wouldn't give up...

I agree, watch the MFK videos on youtube! No other call on the market has the realism of the MFK's (formerly TC)! They smoke the horn howlers so bad in stage competitions that noone even tries to compete with the horns anymore. They flat out pile up the fur too & again I think the realism is the difference! To top it off they're only $10 bucks & will last years if properly taken care of. Horn howlers are expensive, are a hassle to carry, make noise on a lanyard, & CANNOT COMPETE with the realism of the MFK diaphragms!! My suggestion is buy another MFK & practice more. It took me a little while to get them down, but well worth it!!-----Ben Jimmy

I wouldnt of givin up if it hadnt ripped. Never heard of keeping calls in the fridge, I have several turkey calls that are 12 to 15 years old and not dried out. Not sure what call to try from here but I will figure it out.

Originally Posted By: cecI wouldnt of givin up if it hadnt ripped. Never heard of keeping calls in the fridge, I have several turkey calls that are 12 to 15 years old and not dried out. Not sure what call to try from here but I will figure it out.

Get a double reed call. Super easy to make sounds with. I'm pretty rough with my calls and I've never had a problem. Once you get the hang of it you'll be glad you stuck with it.

Back