thoughts on the 22-284

coyotejunkie

Hello all I'm new to the forum and this may of already been brought up but I was kicking around the idea of building one for hunting song dogs I have and really enjoy shooting my 284 win and thought a 22-284 might be fun

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: coyotejunkieHello all I'm new to the forum and this may of already been brought up but I was kicking around the idea of building one for hunting song dogs I have and really enjoy shooting my 284 win and thought a 22-284 might be fun

The 22-284 is a 22-'06, and the barrel life will be amazingly short.

Even the 6mm-284, or 6mm-06 is rough on barrels. In order to make it work, you need a fast twist, 8" or faster, and bullets for these twists can be hard to get to expand.

The 224 Clarke had a total barrel life of ~600 rounds, and it's a smaller case.

Here are the problems and things to look at.

To be worth while, you have to shoot 75 to 90 grain bullets - the 75 A-Max is probably the lightest you can use and still be getting the benefit of the case volume - and the bullet might not be able to take that spin rate.

If you wan to whack them way out there, you need a very good load - at least a 1/2 moa rifle/load combination. You might need to test a few bullets and powders to find that load, and with less than 600 rounds of barrel life to start, that doesn't leave much left for field shooting.

I'm not saying "Don't do it", just that there is more to it than just necking down.

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorNot sure why the .22-284 exists. There was enough trouble with barrel life with the 6.5, by all means make it worse.

The 22-284 (which is actually the ".22 G&A" or the "22 Hutton") was developed about 35 years ago to see how fast a bullet could go - they made it to around 6,300 fps with 19gr iron bullets that were made by Remington - barrel life was a few hundred rounds.

For a long range yote rifle, it is very hard to beat the two 6mms, the 243 and the 6mm Rem. If more is needed, a large case 6.5 is the way to go.

I have a 264 WM, in a Rem Sendero-II, and load 95gr V-Maxs - the terminal results are fugly.

my 284 is built on a rem.700 long action ,douglas air gauge barel cut at 20" strait taper bull . I run 162 grn a-max with an oal of 3.182" at around 2824fps +- and it shoots under minute of angle groups it is a blast to shoot

Originally Posted By: coyotejunkieI was thinking of going the other way 1 in 14 twist with light bullet weights

Then you gain nothing over a 223 WSSM, and that case is on the endangered list because of what it does to barrels..

You will get blinding muzzle velocities, but at 500 yds, a lot of others will pass you by.

A 22-6mmAI would make more sense to me. And a 22-243 even more sense.

Going with the lighter bullets would be considered a complete waste of my time.......

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunA 22-6mmAI would make more sense to me. And a 22-243 even more sense.

Going with the lighter bullets would be considered a complete waste of my time.......

I agree. There isn't enough benefit from the speed to send the little bullets that fast. If you want a fast 22 cal rifle, just get a 220 swift and launch 35 gr pills. There are some folks on here with 5k fps results. Any faster, or even that fast, is just silly and not beneficial.

If your after just speed, and speed alone...go for it. But for actual use, it's gonna be half burned out during load development.

why the 22-6mm or the 22-243 niether one has the powder capacity of the 284 wich would allow for a larger volum of a slower burning powder and if you excercised some restraint in the overall fps say no more than 4200 fps I don't believe the barel damage would be any worse than that of the two you named

If your only after 4200, then the 22-284 makes no sense. That's easily obtained with a Swift, and really easy with a 22-243 or 22-6mm.

But, like said before, of you want a hot rod, then go for it! I can't wait to see a crony read out over 5k again. It's interesting, to say the least.

Originally Posted By: coyotejunkiewhy the 22-6mm or the 22-243 niether one has the powder capacity of the 284 wich would allow for a larger volum of a slower burning powder and if you excercised some restraint in the overall fps say no more than 4200 fps I don't believe the barel damage would be any worse than that of the two you named

If you are going to limit the velocity to 4,200, then why spend the money (a LOT OF MONEY) to build a 22-284, when you can get a new, high end Swift for less than a barrel, reamer, and dies for your 22-284 project.

I agree with what these guys have said so far.

IF IT WAS ME and I wanted to push a light bullet as fast as possible and didn't care about barrel life, I'd build a 6mm06 and shoot the 55gr NBT.

I've just never been as fond of the .224 bullets as some... There are so many awesome options in the 6mm.

With a 600 round barrel life, and, the prices and wait time for barrels, its sounds to me like someone with deeeep pockets. Fun is fun, but money is money. For me, money is alot harder to get.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogWith a 600 round barrel life, and, the prices and wait time for barrels, its sounds to me like someone with deeeep pockets. Fun is fun, but money is money. For me, money is alot harder to get. You don't need deep pockets if you have the skills to DIY. building the gun is half the fun so it sounds to me like easy might really be the reasoning....

With the right skills you can accomplish just about anything!

Just kiddin, build it we'll watch the outcome. Sounds like fun if you're ok with the likely results. Big grin at least for a little while.

Last edited:
Back