Stray cat decoy. How many of you have them?

I've got one that I am field testing for them. I am very pleased with it. I haven't had a single coyote flare from it, and actually every one of them has went into attack mode when they saw it. I've given my list of changes that I think need to be made on it and they are working on some improvements. Easy to carry and deploy. Excellent realistic tail action.

Hope that helps.

Tony

I was just about to brag about yours Tony. You beat me to it.
So I'll just say that I liked it so much it's already on my Christmas list!
thumbup1.gif

Thank you,
So wait until they update it or buy now?
Tony, you say they go into attack mode so they rush the decoy, Do they stop for a shot or are you shooting runners?
Thank you very much for the info.
MB

121106_0001.jpg

They rush the decoy. A few have checked up a few hundred yards out, but once they see it, they run right to it. A couple actually stalked it like bobcat, belly crawling. All stopped when barked for the shot.

Tony

So I get the idea that it looks like a happy tail swishing cat, but what's so different about the stray cat from other decoys? Doesn't really seem like there's a reason it should have any better success above other decoys?

What caught my attention was the realistic tail movement. It really looks like the hind quarters of a cat that's about to pounce on something. (If you've ever watched cats much you know that their tails tell different tales. Lol.... Happy swish, mad swish, and "I'm about to catch something" swish. Most of the time I definitely got the impression that the stray cat decoy swish was the "I'm about to catch something" swish. Perhaps yotes recognize this and respond to it.) I dunno. It definitely peeked the interest of the coyotes who saw it. (One did the belly/low crawl up to it, which was TOO cool!)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Varminterror what's so different about the stray cat from other decoys? Doesn't really seem like there's a reason it should have any better success above other decoys?

I was wondering the same.

I can guarantee that almost all the coyotes that I've called with it, have no idea what a house cat is. We just don't have them around here. They are coyote bait, if someone dumps them. What makes this decoy totally different is the tail motion. It's realistic, not just for a cat, but for any animal with a tail. I am working on a coyote skin for it and feel confident that I'll put the serious smack down on coyotes with it, come breeding and denning season...especially coupled with pup distress.

I will try to get video of it in action, so you can see the motion. Primos has been pushing me to get them some kill footage anyways.

Tony

That's funny, I had a barn cat on my bait yesterday. I let it walk off after watching it groom itself for a half hour straight. I guess I have bait for the bait.

Originally Posted By: TonyTebbeI can guarantee that almost all the coyotes that I've called with it, have no idea what a house cat is. We just don't have them around here. They are coyote bait, if someone dumps them.
Tony, I certainly didn't mean to imply that I was talking about felis domesticus. I meant 'feline' in general. I was actually thinking with regard to cougar, panther, etc. The decoy is about the right size for a young 'un-domesticated' cat's tail. Regardless of species, they're all the same in that their tails are like signal flags.

I like the idea of another skin though, and certainly it would make it very useful during mating season. (A lot easier to carry around than a full body decoy!) Yet, I still like the black and white as well. I was actually considering the skin when we were hunting over it. It's not representative of anything that I could think of in the wild, BUT it does stand out against almost any background, which I think is a plus.

Last edited:
I totally understand, I was just trying to point out what makes this decoy different than others....regardless that it is "supposed" to look like a cat.

Mark my word guys...I feel that this will be the most "killingest" decoy over the next 2 seasons. (if that is even a word) Hahaha. I've tried alot of different decoys and had finally quit carrying any the past 2 years. This decoy is worth carrying.

Tony

Back