Fur Friendly .204 vs. .223 advice...

riverhunter55

I have used a bolt action 22-250 since i first started calling. The last 3 years or so out of about 25 coyotes i have only destroyed 2 (one of them being this morning, but they were both splash wounds i am usually really careful with shot placement) Building an AR just for calling has really interested me lately so i bought a lower after the election and am in the process of deciding what to do with the rest of it. I know quite a few of you have used both .204 and .223 is there that big of a benefit to the .204 all ballistics aside just saving fur. 250 yards is about as long of a shot as i have ever taken at called critters so i don't need a super long range gun.
We just recently have been able to shoot bobcats so that is part of the reason for the new gun, i think my 250 will not be so good on them. I would like this new gun to not tear up the kitty's to bad.
The other dilema i have is i don't want a 24" heavy barrel so when i go down to a 20" or 18" the .204 is going to be roughly 250fps slower i believe.

Any advice is appreciated!!
Thanks

For what you describe the 223 is perfect I have shot an AR for over 30 yrs. I am shooting a Remington R-15 carbine with an adj stock. It has a 1-9 twist 18" barrel. The 50 gr Ballistic tips work great no or not much damage. The cat I shot was with a 60 custom Match HP shot at 60 yds came out the size of a quarter. I shot it behind the front leg off of the shoulder and leg bone hit the bone big mess. I shot coyotes with a 204 for a short while had no damage to huge holes speed kills and rips and tears. Put a full float hand guard on what ever you get and change the trigger to a JP or Timney trigger or a good 2 stage if you like them.
The reason for the Adj stock is when you are not in perfect sitting position or have on a heavy coat you can shorten up the stock for perfect eye scope distance.
MB

I've been shooting the 204 at coyotes for several years. As some have said, the 35 and 40 grain Bergers are the bullet of choice. The 204 is a really good 300 yard gun. I've killed them further but it loses a lot as the distances gets much past 350. Wind also has a big effect on the bullet. When it's windy here in Montana, I pull the Swift out and leave the 204 in the truck.

Another vote for the .204 and the 35gr Bergers
thumbup.gif

Mine has an 18" barrel from Wilson Combat that's served me quite well. 99.9% of my shots are inside 200yds too.

Black hole weaponry will hook you right up. I have a 24" 20practical with their barrel and its one of the nicest barrels iv had. They are only like $260 for stainless.

Thanks for the advice, I think I am going to go with the .204. Black hole weaponry I believe is out of stock on the .204 barrels so i am going to have to wait or find another brand.

Originally Posted By: riverhunter55Thanks for the advice, I think I am going to go with the .204. Black hole weaponry I believe is out of stock on the .204 barrels so i am going to have to wait or find another brand.

I'd rather wait a few extra weeks and get what I want, I own both of these and can't speak highly enough (I favor the 18" Wilson)

White Oak

Wilson Combat

I'm shooting a CZ Model 527 .204 and it's a great flat Shooting Rifle that really puts the Coyotes down,I started out with 40 grain Hornady bullets, went to the 32 grain Winchester ballistic tips that did really well....decided to try the 39 grain Federal loaded Sierra Blitz Kings and they performed the best in my Rifle and were the most accurate of all 3 I tried!

Last edited:
Back