The Dtech neoprene float-tube cover.

dtech

One of our PM members asked about a cover that could be put over an aluminum float-tube so it wasn't so cold to handle. I answered the post, and got many inquiries, so I though I would make this post.

I actually call it the "Ada Sleeve". It's named after my mother-in-law that actually sews them for me. She starts out with black, closed-cell neoprene rubber covered with a black nylon Tricot. Basically... wet-suit material. This is quite thin, under 1/8" (.100") It's very stretchy, quiet and warm. I offer them in carbine, mid and rifle-length. They are sized to stretch over a standard 2" float-tube.
DSC_0177_s.jpg

Here is a picture of a carbine-length sleeve installed on a tube. The sleeve is long enough to cover the ends of the float-tube.
DSC_0179_s.jpg

This is a picture of a sleeve showing the neoprene foam.

They are not only difficult to photograph, but they are very simple and nondescript! Once they are installed, at a glance, you probably won't notice it being there. Once you grab it though, it's a whole different story. It makes the float-tube much more pleasant to grip, and it also makes it much quieter for hunting. Have you ever been trying to slip through the woods quietly and had a branch, or your wedding-band hit the tube? Yup, it sounds like a bell out in the woods.

I sell them for $15.00 or @20.00 shipped to your door via priority mail. I know lots of folks hate PayPal, but it actually works very well for little items like this.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Any chance for a re-enforced sling stud hole? I lie the idea, though.

There are a couple of things I have been doing with my own sleeves:

One upper that I have the sleeve on is a mid-length that I use for hunting in the winter. I use a single-point sling with that rifle, so it doesn't have a sling-stud installed. On my other upper that I have a sleeve installed on, I simply made a small slit with a razor blade. The stud popped right through it, and the nylon Tricot keeps the hole from enlarging.

I'm sure a "reinforced hole" could be added, but "where" to put it would be the problem. some are located 2" back from the front-edge, some are located on the side.... The slit with a razor worked well for me.

Originally Posted By: DtechOriginally Posted By: pahntr760Any chance for a re-enforced sling stud hole? I lie the idea, though.

There are a couple of things I have been doing with my own sleeves:

One upper that I have the sleeve on is a mid-length that I use for hunting in the winter. I use a single-point sling with that rifle, so it doesn't have a sling-stud installed. On my other upper that I have a sleeve installed on, I simply made a small slit with a razor blade. The stud popped right through it, and the nylon Tricot keeps the hole from enlarging.

I'm sure a "reinforced hole" could be added, but "where" to put it would be the problem. some are located 2" back from the front-edge, some are located on the side.... The slit with a razor worked well for me.

Point noted. And likely an order will follow!

The material is, like I said earlier, quite stretchy. It takes a little bit of tugging and pulling to get them onto the tube. Once you have it installed, it stays right where you put it. I've never had one move around on me.

Once you have the sleeve installed, the sling-stud will be a little lump under the sleeve. When I say a slit with a razor-blade, basically all you have to do is touch the material with the blade and the stud will pop through.

Taking the sleeve off is easy, you simply grab the back edge of it and turn it inside-out as you pull it off.... kinda like a sock off of your foot!

Hey Mike, bring some to the Gunshow in Fargo in January and I will buy a couple (Rifle Length). Great idea, and thanks to your mother-in-law.

I run a Harris bipod, is this something I'd have to cut to allow the bipod direct contact with the tube, or will the bipod work over the material?

Originally Posted By: BOBTAILSSweet that looks like the ticket for those cold Nebraska sandhills!

It is nice on those below zero mornings. Now he just needs some light tan camo neoprene
grin.gif
!

Originally Posted By: 204 AROriginally Posted By: BOBTAILSSweet that looks like the ticket for those cold Nebraska sandhills!

It is nice on those below zero mornings. Now he just needs some light tan camo neoprene
grin.gif
!

That may be a possibility if we get enough in on it. I would be in for a couple of those too.

Originally Posted By: BOBTAILSSweet that looks like the ticket for those cold Nebraska sandhills!

Or the South Dakota prairies..I may need to buy a bigger house then anticipated for the visitors!

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: BOBTAILSSweet that looks like the ticket for those cold Nebraska sandhills!

Or the South Dakota prairies..I may need to buy a bigger house then anticipated for the visitors!

Yes make sure you have a room or two for hunting buds!

Originally Posted By: BOBTAILSOriginally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: BOBTAILSSweet that looks like the ticket for those cold Nebraska sandhills!

Yes make sure you have a room or two for hunting buds!

It's only about 10.5 hours from the SLC valley!

Back