What color light for deer?

yotehunter57

My nieghbor has 2 farms with serious deer problems, and may request a Depradation Permit next year.
I will take no pleasure killing deer for that purpose, but he knows I will only take ethical kill shots.

With that said, I may have to do a little night shooting to thin the herd, and want a good light to shoot with.
Please, no night vision answers, we can't afford stuff like that. All the shooting would be on his property, with big timber bottomland hardwoods as a backstop.
No roads, houses, or livestock in the back ground.

Shayne

Deer r dumb in the dark. I have had em walk with in 20yds out callin at night. Id use a red light. But if all you have is a white spotlight it will work.

Originally Posted By: Widow maker 223Deer r dumb in the dark. I have had em walk with in 20yds out callin at night. Id use a red light. But if all you have is a white spotlight it will work.

WOW, You guys must not have the road hunters and spotlighters that we have here.
If you shine a white light on a deer here, they run like their butts are on fire.
Are deer scared of green lights?
The only requirement is to identify and shoot does only, if at all possible.

Shayne

Originally Posted By: WhiteknuckleRED is the way to go... We encounter deer alot when hunting predators and our RED lights dont bother them at all..

Jeremiah

+1

I have played around with deer after a stand has ended and they are not bothered by RED light ......When I switch to a white light they spook and head for cover.

BTW..... I would not attach lights to a barrel ....except maybe a shotgun.

Last edited:
Wouldn't a light attached to a 55 gallom barrel be awkward to tote around??
Sorry Gman, I couldn't resist.
It would be a scope mount.

Shayne

I have my light in front of my gas block on a bull barrel and it shoots the same. No light spillage. A pencil barrel will prob shoot different.

Not too many idiots in my neck of the woods thankfully

Depending on your distance, a XLR 250 in RED, or a Lightforce, with a red filter... both with one of Jeremiah's halo shields.
I have done a lot of deer crop damage shooting. Red light works best on deer, bar none! The green ND3 scares the heck out of them! BTDT!
F1

Originally Posted By: Flyrod1Depending on your distance, a XLR 250 in RED, or a Lightforce, with a red filter... both with one of Jeremiah's halo shields.
I have done a lot of deer crop damage shooting. Red light works best on deer, bar none! The green ND3 scares the heck out of them! BTDT!
F1

Sounds good to me.
Thanks everyone for your input.

Shayne

I was looking at some last week with green light,didn't bother them a bit.
Red doesn't either though but my green reaches a bit further out.

Last edited:
Back