6.8 SPC II Barrel length

blopez50

I found a couple good Black Friday sales and am gonna put together a 6.8 upper. I'll be shooting the 90gr out of it.

Here's what I can't decide on: 18" barrel with a Kies BlastMaster or 20" with target crown??

What say you?

I'm no expert on the 6.8, but do have one ordered right now. I went with a 18 inch with target crown. I have heard 2 more inches of barrel gets you about 50fps more in velocity. I figured why not go 18 inch with target crown. Basically same weight as a 16 incher with a flash hider.

I have a White Oak Armament 18" with target crown. I took the flash hider off and put on thread a protector. Forget the Blastmaster and go with the 20" if you don't mind the extra weight and length. With the 20", those 90gr will be close to 3000fps.

If you go over to 6.8 forums there has been a lot if discussion about barrel lengths etc... With that said I have a 18" with a kies master blaster on it and can't waif to get it broken in. If I was to do it over again I'd go 16" with the compensator on it. With the light bullet you won't loose much and gain very little due to the fast burning powder used. I wish joebobs had the black compensator in when I purchased this one.
18A151E8-A76A-48B4-AB18-AEB0A1D2D1B7-2182-0000012C21A23940.jpg

Accuracy is maximized at 16" with the 6.8. If you want more fps and weight go longer. Typically you get 25 fps more with each additional inch of barrel.

Before I bought my 6.8 I called Silver State Armory and talked to one of their guys since they are known for their 6.8 ammo. They recommended the Spikes Tactical upper that was being offered at the time as they had several being used for ammo testing.

I bought one which I am very happy with.

Specs in case you are interested:

Mid length gas / Threaded 16" LW 50 stainless barrel /11.25 twist

Last edited:
Thanks guys

The way that I'm thinking about it is this... I'm going to have 20". Should that be 20" of barrel or 18" of barrel and 2" of comp?

I'm gonna sleep on it for a couple nights and I'll let you guys know what I decide.

You might want to do a little more research. From what I have read it's not just about longer barrel = more FPS with the 6.8.

Gas system length, gas port diameter, twist rate, and powder burn rate might come into play along with changes in barrel length.

Just sayin'

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gman757You might want to do a little more research. From what I have read it's not just about longer barrel = more FPS with the 6.8.

Gas system length, gas port diameter, twist rate, and powder burn rate might come into play along with changes in barrel length.

Just sayin'

Good post. There's been a lot of discussion about everything stated above.

Back