Muzzle device or thread protector?

simoco

So I am building my first AR. I have everything but something for that threaded end on the barrel. Not that it matters but it is a mid weight 16" 223 wylde barrel from ARP so that leaves me with 5/8-24 threading so it does somewhat limit my options. This is going to be hopefully a semi lightweight and accurate coyote rifle. Muzzle brakes are out due to the increase in noise to me. Also don't see too much of a benefit for a flash hider for coyotes. Kind of looking at the kies blast master linear comp. But then also thinking just a thread protector would be the best (better accuracy?). What is everyone's thought on this subject? What are you using?

PS: went with a threaded barrel instead of a target crown due to the possibility of getting a suppressor sometime in the future.

Ha! I went through the same dilemma not too long ago! I went from the standard A2 bird cage "flash hider" to a thread protector, to a Lavang compensator. The Lavang directs the sound forward, away from the shooter and bench. Some say that it increases recoil....really? From a .223? That's a 16" barrel with a mid-length float tube.

100_2685.jpg

If your planning on suppressing it, and are going to direct thread, i would just get a thread protector. If you are planning on a QD can, i would look into whatever muzzle device you will need for that.

True, but getting a suppressor is a year or so away. Would I benefit from something other than a thread protector in the mean time?

mpmax, how do you like the levang comp? It is similar to the kies comp I am looking at. You feel it is beneficial in having it over the thread protector you had before?

The Lavang is quieter off the bench and your fellow shooters will be happier. I started out just wanting something different, but am happy that there is less blast directed back at you. Recoil is negligible.

An A2 birdcage is your cheapest and most effective option. A coyote hunter will see no advantage from the flash suppression but the A2 works very well for protecting the crown and barrel threads. They can be had for less than $10. The A2 also lacks a vent at the bottom which will reduce, by a small amount, how much dust is kicked up when firing from the prone. The birdcage will also help push the muzzle blast more forward than a bare muzzle or a simple thread protector. They are also easy to install and remove.

Myself, I like the Battlecomp. Reduces muzzle climb and sideblast is just a little more noticeable than from an A2. Downside is it costs around $150.

Whatever you put on your muzzle, keep it light. You'll notice the weight of a heavy muzzle device

Last edited:
I was in a similar situation shortly ago. I had a 16in target crowned barrel on my ar, and that thing would not only ring your bell but blinded the crap outta me on low light shots! It was tolerable on the range but really annoying in hunting scenarios.

Fast forward, I rebarreled with an ARP 16in scout profile mid length, and decided on the Levang linear comp. haven't shot it a ton but I am super impressed! It is much more pleasant to shoot, the perceived sound or blast is half or less of the target crowned barrel. I would say it is quieter than a friends 18in mid length with an expensive flash hider. Have not been able to check on the flash hiding properties yet.

Oh and as far as it effecting accuracy, don't worry a bit. The ARP barrels are top notch, and you definitely can't beat them for the money. With the Levang and an initial load work up, I put up a .288" group at 100yds. I am still going to try a few more powders and bullets but any future load has big shoes to fill. I need to order an ARP 6.8 barrel now, that thing will thump a yote good with an 85gr bullet at 3000fps out of a 16in barreled AR!

Also the Levang or equivalent only costs around 35 bucks, pretty cheap when it comes to muzzle devices.

Last edited:
Awesome, that makes me excited to get this thing together. I have only heard good things about the ARP barrels. What bullets you shooting with your setup? Being the 5/8-24 threading gonna have to grab the kies, once Joe Bob gets some in. Hopefully that is soon, or else a thread protector or a2 birdcage is in my future.

I bought the 5 1/2" flash hider from DPMS. Dirt cheap. Cut it off to 3" long and turned the cut off end smooth and blued with oxpho.

My idea was to get the racket out in front of me and not add much weight. It worked.

went out sunday and shot my ar with the kies installed. thanks joebob! used to be very loud with the birdcage. shot some without ear plugs in just to see how much difference it makes. dont want to wear them while hunting. sometimes wear one in my left ear when hunting cause it takes more of the blast, seems like. anyway, night and day difference, no ringing, or any discomfort after several rounds. any future ar's i own will have linear comps on them period.

I use either battlecomp or surefire comps for 5.56 or 7.62.

Second shots are a no brainer.

Of course you can't have no noise and no muzzle rise unless you supress it.

Another thought with respect to muzzle control is to use an H2 buffer and spring.

Back