6.5x55 or 6.5-06

The 6.5-284 is no more a barrel burner than a .220 swift if you load it to shoot less than a 1000yds. Factory ammo is available, but pricey now, reloading is the way to go. Savage makes a hunter model/1:8 twist. I have two,6.5-284s one for long range bench shooting, the other for hunting any thing from varmints, hogs, to large deer. Barrel life for the Savage I expect a normal life too infinity? The bench rest custom rifle will probably go 3000 shooting 600 yd 140g bullets under 2900.
Jim

Shot my first coyote. Had given up for awhile and took the call with me as I decided I should just bring it on any hunting/scouting trip. Blew the rabbit in distress 10 seconds real loud and within 2 minutes I heard something trotting through the dry leaves. Shot it with the Swede as that's the one gun I am very comfortable shooting out to 300 yards. Of course I end up calling my first coyote in to 12 yards and I use 140 grain bullets loaded to 2775 fps.Damage to a nice pelt was pretty bad. If I can figure out how to post a picture I will consider it a miracle. 23-24 lb young male. https://mail-attachment.googleuserconten...XmZ6V3GUWlnwW_U

Last edited:
Another vote for the Swede, 6.5-06 is cool but it's so close to a .270 that you might as well not have to wildcat when there is a VERY popular factory cartridge that is so similar.

This is a tough choice.
I like the 6.5 Swede a lot. Great Cartridge. I think that the availability of 06 brass would be very tempting, however.

6.5-06 has great case capacity. It is a wildcat, that adds a cool factor in my book, but you do have to roll your own a lot to appreciate it.

The Swede is cool. I think if I could only choose one, and shoot it for heavy stuff it would probably be the 6.5x06 as it has more punch.

It is nice to be able to buy a box of shells from the store, if you need to , though.

re

If your already going to be using a long action you might as well go 6.5-06. It will be a handloading only proposition but all the factory swede ammo is loaded very light anyway. The 6.5-06 AI is even better. Might as well use up all that space in the magazine well.

Back