D2 steel or S30V steel

Derek0525

Im looking for a good set of processing knives for Deer and Elk want a good bohning knife and skinning knife to start with wich one will hold an edge longer for the uses. I have some cutco knives but the edge doesnt last too long at all esspecially after this year of getting two deer and an elk i was wore out with sharpening knives. And cutting

Just my 2 cents... neither. Check out Victorinox Knives . They are the choice the butchers I know and I have been butchering with them for years (from antelope to moose to cattle). I like having a knife that is easy to sharpen when butchering. No matter what kind of steel your knife has, it's going to dull when slaughtering/butchering and it's a lot nicer when a few swipes on a stone puts an edge on the knife versus the process of sharpening very hard steel. Some of my hunting knives are S30V, which I really like, especially when they're sharp. But they can be a pain in the butt to sharped half way through quartering an elk in the dark.

Hard to say. I own both, but haven't used the S30V enough to wear it out yet. Many guys are very happy with it. Most knife makers seem to still prefer D2.

I have used a bunch of the tool steels like A2, D2, O1, and L6. They all hold an edge great and are very tough. The latter 2 rust fairly easily if not maintained, but perform well beyond good.

I have used many of the knives TB speaks of. Victorinox, Forshner, Dexter Russell, and the like. I don't carry them afield, but use them to butcher after the game is hanging. They are basically commercial grade kitchen knives, sharpen easily, and don't cost much. The Russell Green River carbon blades are great for this also. I did 2 deer with a customized Green River Ripper this year. Then made some jerky with it. They would make a superior set of steak knives, IMO........

B6AD34F7-39E4-4226-8CF4-D35367BEF95E-218-0000002AC0739129.jpg

D863FEE2-AB01-44E9-AE0C-294A6DB7EB23-218-0000002BBE0D0D48.jpg

IMO you can't go wrong with D2 or S30V. That said, I field dressed 3 deer with good old 1095 this year, and the blade is still plenty sharp for round 4...........

DCC87C33-20DC-4DEA-883A-A368AEEDB8E6-1767-000002CFA6A5B29B.jpg

Well i ended up buying a Jaeger Boning knife from knives of alaska its made with D2 gona give it a whirl on my dads Deer this weekend

I had one of those also. I liked it. I gave it to my buddy Dave. He is too much of a cheapa$$ to buy a good knife and had been using the same Buck 105 FOREVER.

If I still had it, I'd probably rescale it with some nice wood or stag......

I am talking about butchering and processing im just buying a little at a time all i have ever used for processing a deer or elk is a skinning knife boning knife and fillet knife. Think i might invest in one of those KME sharpeners also. For the carbon steels is a diamond or stone better?

Back