One dead opossum

Woodworker

We ran him out of the barn and my buddy (snakeman) shot him with a 12ga. 2 3/4 load of #6 shot from a turkey choke at approx. 7 yards.

It measured just under 33 inches from snout to tip of tail, body is 20 inches. The shotgun in the pic is a Rem. 870 Super Mag, to give a size reference. The next pic shows the teeth they measure 5/8ths of an inch.

This is the biggest opossum I've seen.

The photos were taken after sundown, but we shot him at dusk after he was trying to get into the chicken pen. I shot one a couple of weeks ago while it was eating one of my chickens, so it get's checked on a couple times a night now.

possum112804.jpg

possum112804_3.jpg

If you had not blown it a way with that 12 gauge it would have broughr 7.50. I sold 47 last year and some like that ave, 7.50 some 5,00 and had one bring 10 cents, grinners paid my gas bill for my boat trapping last year.

Frog

i also had one for a pet a few years ago. had it for 2 years (life expectancy is only 18 months in the wild). kept it in the house and his bed was a large dog kennel.

when we were home he just walked around and slept just like a cat. he would go back to his cage to crap/pee. ate cat food and table scraps.

he actually learnt his name and "come here".

he was my coolest pet so far.

ch312

PS. no we arent poor it was just a cool pet to have.

Weasel,

Did he learn to retrieve or did you have to force fetch him!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Well, H-Bar elite & Barkingstick
were warm. We didn't eat the thing until I figured out he was going to eat everything I sent him to retrieve rather than bring it to me. Ol' grinner ain't gonna do no tricks, Grandma makes dinner outta 'im! That'll teach 'em. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Dang, Woodworker, I don't think I could eat that many sweet 'taters to get that bad boy down. How many chickens have gone missing lately ?

Good pics, good job on that rascal grinney.

We've only lost the one chicken, however, we have lost 1 hen duck ot the neighbors dog, and one drake was mauled by a coyote. I'm not sure what finally got finished off the drake, but we haven't seen him for the last couple of days.

The coyotes have been getting bolder here lately, and things are about to get rather unpleasant for them as soon as I'm done spending my free time filling my freezer full of deer LOL.

I'm waiting for the bobcats to start showing up... we have a river 1/4 mile away to the south, and a fair bit of that land is wooded.

It's packed full of coyotes and big damn possum around here, I know that much!

WW

Woodworker isn't kidding around. There was another opossum that was just as big as the one that I shot later on that night. Tonigh I have been looking for the skunk that has been running around out there. I stepped out earlier to go feed the horses and get a pinch of snuff and the stink of skunk almost made me puke. It was somewhere in the yard or horse corral but I did not find it. It could be for the better that I didn't find it if you know what I mean. :rolleyes:

snakeman

I have one that comes on the back porch and eats the cats food. That thing is huge too. Our ole cat is pretty mean but even she won't mess with that possum. I went out the other night and the possum was eating the cat's food. The mean ole cat was just laying in the swing watching it eat it all up. Scaredy cat!!!

I've killed 7 or 8 of them critters in my backyard over the past couple of years. I would really hate one of my dogs to get bit by one. My 22 bolt action and some cb caps do a pretty good job and it don't wake the neighbors.

Nasty things arent they! Killed one in my back yard with a bow few years back. a couple of em were fightin on my deck and scarin my brother (who was 4 to death) I got one and my dad got the other. thank god! Not nearly as big though.

Back