Savage 93 .22 magnum?

cityslicker

I'm looking into getting a .22 magnum for fox, bobcat and groundhog hunting. I really like the looks and price of Savage's model 93 F. I wanted to see if anyone here had one and wanted their opinion of it. Thanks

I have the 93 in 17HMR. If you're asking an opinion of the gun, mine is they are well built, accurate rifles.

If you're asking about the choice of caliber for those animals, a well placed shot will anchor any of them with a .22Mag.

Thanks. Mainly I'm just looking to see if it's a quality gun and accurate. I have a Savage model 10 predator hunter in .243 and really like the Accu-trigger so I figured I'd look at the 93. The reason I want a .22 mag. is because I don't want any fur damage on fox or bobcats.

Last edited:
I have a 93 in 17hmr that shoots great and am in the process of getting a 93 in .22mag. The great thing about it is they both take the same Magazine. I have .22mag now but it wont eat 30 or 33gr. I have heard that the 93 .22mag shoots the 30gr very well.

I have 1 in 22mag,shots well.
I have a pre accutrigger,i did a home made trigger fix,now its a lot better.When i got it,the trigger pull was so high almost had to use 2 fingers to fire the rifle.lol

I have a Savage 93 BRJ 17 HMR. Its quite accurate and runs well. I'd recommend them. And I feel the 22 WMR is a great round for what you want to do.

The 2 magazines on my 93F 22 Mag has some play up and down when inserted into my rifle which causes some feeding issues if I dont have it just right. Still messing with the mags trying to get them right. Plenty accurate and fur friendly even on little greys.
DSC01125.jpg

And you better scope it they shoot about an inch high at 100 yards with the rear sight all the way to the bottom of the sight adjustment.

I'm typically not a big Savage fan but I can't deny they all seem to flat shoot and shoot well at that. I have 2 of the thumbhole stock 93's in 17hmr and they both shoot very well.

The 10rnd mags fit a little tighter and having those extra few rnds means less time spent reloading and more time shooting.

I have a 93 wood stock in 22 mag and its a lefty. It is an awesome gun. It shoots just under 1 inch groups at 100 yards off bags. I shoot the hornady v-max out of it.

It is topped with a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40.

Its a nice set up.

You can fix that feed problem by slightly bending the clip guide forward. Do so a little at a time until the clip fits more snugly and the bullets start to feed better. This process pushes the front of the clip up very slightly so that the nose of the bullet clears the bottom on the chamber better. I have no problems now.

As for how my 22 mag shoots. It is great. Very accurate with most any load. I use it for small game, coyotes included if in range, as my go to gun now.

Mine has put 3 shots touching @ 100yds a bunch of times, mostly with Federal 50gr JHPs. Shoots Fed 40gr extremely well also. The other 4-5 loadings I've tried do not shoot nearly as well. From mediocre to poor. I like the gun a lot, but mine is older and the trigger is crappy. Been meaning to replace it seemingly forever now.......

34676A63-7BF0-4E8C-8A9D-3E907C157D35-302-0000003215C45EAD.jpg

SAM_0226.jpg

I just bought the Savage 93 G .22 WMR with the Wood Stock & Accu-trigger....it's a great looking Rifle I just hope it's shots as good as it looks?
wink.gif

I have the 93FV and it is an absolute tack driver with the 30 grain cci and Hornady stuff. It also likes the federal 50 grain ammo. It is by far the most consistently accurate 22mag I've ever owned and I've had the cz, marlins, winchester rifles. The only issues with the savages are the feeding issues, I've been lucky that mine never had that problem..

Seems the feeding issue is pretty common on the savage.

22 mag is notoriously ammo picky. My mossberg was a tack driver with 2 loads. I shot a couple of .2 @50 with rem 40 gr. hp and I am no bench shooter. Must of tried about 10 more kinds. Some would shoot an 1", others looked like shotgun patterns.

I have one in 17hmr and another in 22mag. The22mag shoots the 30gr. hornadys under an inch at 100yds. 30gr. cci next best and the maxi-mag 40 gr. about equal. It has a green synth stock and a fluted bull barrel. Came with a crappy Chinese 3x9 that I removed before I even fired it, and put a 3.5-10x42 sightron big sky on instead. Real tackdriver and I love it!!
The 17hmr is a shooter too!:)

I have a 93GL in .22 mag that i trimmed the barrel back to 17" and scoped. It has been a very accurate rifle. Ive only shot CCI 40gr ammo but i havent been disappointed. The .22 mag is plenty to take out a fox.

Back