Father & Son Bobcat Time (Pic Heavy)

Hawk-eye

This could get a bit picture heavy but I hope that you all will enjoy these great photos and fun story.

I told my 6 year old Dylan that he could go calling with me this weekend since it's still pretty warm out and he would be comfortable out there. I was in hope for a coyote and thought if we got a nicely furred one tonight, I'd just have it sent in with my bobcat I shot the other day for tanning since it would be our first coyote hunting together. Dylan's only been calling with me once before last Spring and that was out of a hunting tower blind. This time we would set right next to each other on the ground.

Dylan was really excited driving to our spot and was hoping we'd get a coyote too! Once we parked and started the walk in there, I said, Look Dylan, turkeys!" Four turkeys came out of the fence line we were walking in on just 40 yards ahead and took flight right in front of us. Dylan says "Wow, those are turkeys Dad?" "Yep" I said!

Once over the hill, we got to the spot where we were going to have some fun before dark. Little did we know just HOW much fun we were about to have together?

Here's the spot we were overlooking with the caller hung down fenceline from us about 70 yards.
IMG_0704.jpg

We got all settled in beside each other and Dylan was giddy! We had a little talk about how we had to remain fairly still and kind of quiet while we sat there or we may spook the coyotes away. I chose this spot to sit because we'd be hidden a bit and any movement Dylan might make might be hidden a little. 6 year olds don't sit still very well for a long period of time but he did awesome! With the wind as strong as it was, we could whisper back and forth easily.

IMG_0709.jpg

It was Dylan's job to run the caller and to watch for movement with me with his mini-binoculars. "Which sound should I play Daddy?" Dylan asked scrolling through the playlist. "Let's play ........ That one Dylan." I said, "I bet it will call some coyotes." "Yep, I think that's a good one too Dad!" He said, even though he had never heard it before in his life. I smiled as I turned my head and began watching our area when Dylan started the caller.

It played for a bit and soon I said, "Looky there Dylan! A Buck! And he's a good one!"

Dylan: "Where"
Dad: "Right there buddy." As I pointed out the buck.

This nice buck had came to have a peek at what all the commotion was about.

IMG_0712.jpg

Dylan: "Is he going to come over here Dad?"
Dad: "No, I doubt it buddy, he's just seeing what the noise is. I wish I had my bow, he's a great buck."
Dylan: "Would you shoot that buck Dad?"
Dad: If I was bowhunting I would Dylan!" I whispered

The buck moved over the hill and out of sight and I wasn't hearing the caller very well. I feared with the wind, it wasn't getting sound into the thick cedars and cavities around the hill.

Dad: "Should I blow a mouth call Dylan?"
Dylan: "Yeah, blow the mouth call."

I blew two or three excited series and then told Dylan that he could run the caller on whatever sound he wanted to now. After a bit of silence he fired up the caller with a different sound. It played for a while longer and the action started.

Dad: "Look Dylan another buck is coming over the hill."
Dylan, looking through his binoculars: "He's a big buck too Dad!"
Dad: : "He's not as big as the last one but that's still pretty cool isn't it buddy?"
Dylan: "Yeah, pretty cool................Would you shoot that one if you were bowhunting Dad?"
Dad: "No, probably not buddy."
Dylan: "Oh."

IMG_0718.jpg

Dad: "Look Dylan, another deer is coming over the hill!"
Dylan: "I see him, what is it?"
Dad: "It's a spike buck I think." I said looking through the binoculars.
IMG_0726.jpg

The deer walked around a bit and soon the spike buck wandered in front of the other buck. He had his attention on something but I didn't pick up on it at first that he was intrigued by something. Check out the little guy's posture in this picture. He's eyeballing something?
IMG_0732.jpg

Dad: "That deer is interested in something Dylan but I don't know what?"
Dylan behind the curve a little says, "What?"

Then I see it! A clump of something in the cut crp field. I knew what it was as soon as I laid eyes on it even though there was no way to tell with the naked eye yet. That's just the way they appear.

Dad: "Dylan, there's a bobcat! A bobcat is right there! Do you see that?" I said pointing at the cat.
Dylan: "No, where?"
Dad: "Right there!" I whispered excitedly pointing at it again.

It wasn't 65 yards away in the field. Finally it moved and I was on it with the camera!
IMG_0734.jpg

Dad: "Do you see him now Dylan?"
Dylan: "Yeah, I see it. Is that really a bobcat Dad?"
Dad: "Yes buddy, it is a bobcat. I can't believe we called one in!" I said whispering.

That little spike buck actually moved within just a few feet of the bobcat. He wasn't a big fan of it being there. Not sure if he was trying to intimidate it a little or was more on the curious side but he walked right to it. The cat finally moved towards the caller as soon as the deer got too close to him almost as if he was annoyed by the deer diverting his attention away from the caller that was still playing down the hill.
IMG_0735.jpg

Here they are together just after the cat began to stalk down the hill to the caller.
IMG_0738.jpg

Dad: "He's going to stalk in on the caller right in front of us Dylan. Like he's hunting it."
Dylan: "Does he think it's a rabbit?"
Dad: "Yep, and he wants to eat it" I whispered.
Dad again: "O.k, now don't move at all buddy, o.k?" I whispered to Dylan to remind him, all the while taking picture after picture.

Here he is stalking the caller slowly.
IMG_0739.jpg

Part two of the story is in the next post below:

Nominated for the Hunt Of The Month

Last edited by a moderator:
O.K. Part two of the story! Sorry, it wouldn't let all the pictures show up in the above post so I had to make two entries.

Just after I snapped the last picture you see in the above post, guess who showed up again? That's right, Mr. Big came over the hill again. So now there is three bucks and a bobcat all in the field before us, all within 75 yards. The cat is as close as 45 yards at one point.

Dad: "Don't move Dylan, he's right in front of us. Can you see him really good?"
Dylan: Yeah I can!"
Dylan again: Are you going to shoot him Dad?"
Dad: "No, I can't buddy."
Dylan: Why aren't you going to shoot him?"
Dad: "I can't shoot this one buddy. I already shot one the other day, remember? You're only allowed to shoot one a year buddy."
Dylan: "Oh. Why only one a year?"
Dad: "That's just the way it is buddy."
Dad: "Don't move, he's looking right at us." I say as I'm snapping pictures.
IMG_0742.jpg

IMG_0744.jpg

Finally he makes his way to the caller area in the next picture. It was a slow stalk. I had muted the caller while he was about half way there which is a good tactic to sometimes keep a cat out in front of you longer. Then after he started looking at us more I started it back up again. He kept looking at us, same as the deer, but none of them were sure what we were, if anything. They weren't too bothered by us and only took a mild interest. Here he is close to the caller, looking around.
IMG_0748.jpg

While the cat was still in the field, Mr. Big was following the spike buck down towards the bobcat. That spike buck wouldn't leave the cat alone. Here's the big buck coming down the hill towards us.
IMG_0752.jpg

The spike finally caught up with the bobcat down at the fenceline. He is mere feet away from this kitty. It looks like a standoff:
IMG_0755.jpg

I peeked over at Dylan during this time and this was the look on his face. I couldn't resist the picture! It says it all!!!
IMG_0775.jpg

The big buck came down there too, but the kitty had enough and melted away into the fence line and was no longer in sight. Here is two of the three deer standing together right where the cat disappeared and probably still within sight of them but not us. The deer saw us too, but weren't too bothered by us. The third buck is still standing up the hill not far away watching the whole thing too.
IMG_0759.jpg

IMG_0762.jpg

Here's a close up of Mr. Big.
IMG_0770.jpg

Finally he began moving through the field almost like he knew it was time to start looking for the ladies and off he went.
IMG_0771.jpg

What an afternoon! We stayed put after all of that for a while and another doe came down the hill after it was all over and went right into that same spot where the cat disappeared. It wasn't long and she came flying out of there. I'm guessing the cat was still hanging around down there out of sight. We called for a while longer but no coyotes showed themselves after all of this. Heck if a coyote would have came in along another spot while all of this was going on, I wouldn't have seen it anyway. LOL

The reason I didn't shoot this bobcat today was because I already bagged my bobcat for the season here in Iowa on Friday. Only one cat per hunter or trapper is allowed in Iowa for the season and the season ends when 450 cats have been taken. The season opened on Nov. 3rd and is a little over half way to the quota as of today.

So we saw a nice buck, five other bucks, four more does, four turkeys and a bobcat. All up close! A great time with my son! On the way home, he called his Momma to tell of the hunt and then called his Papa and said "Guess what Papa? I just called in my first bobcat!" Papa was excited. Just wish Papa would have been there also, since that cat would have had his name on it and would have been perfect for him to shoot. Guess, we'll have to call another one Papa!

My little guy was lights out by the time we got home. Predator hunting wears a guy out!  

Last edited:
Your pictures and story made it seem like we were right there. Great job! A good father-son day that you'll both remember for a long time.

Thanks everyone! It was a day we both will never forget for sure! My son really hasn't been out hunting all that much with me and only calling with me once before so I was so happy that this hunt turned out so exciting! Should make his desire to go with Dad stronger. I just shot a bobcat last Friday but for some reason, even without a bullet fired, this hunt was the one I couldn't stop thinking about today instead of the other one! Thanks again everyone!

Thanks for sharing the hunt! That was one excitement filled time. I would have peed my pants at his age to see all that.

Back