22 mag SHOTShell for Rattlers?

Cold

I have no experience with this so help please

Will a 22 mag shotshell down a rattler? Im in Texas and hunt in and around Albany, the snakes can get big, will the 22 mag Shotshell do the job?

Havent used bird shot in a small round. I shot a rattlesnake about 3 to 4 feet in length with 44 birdshot this summer. I followed up with hollow points and they seemed to work alot better. SO if your a steady shot, I would stick with hollows. MY 2 cents!

the bird shot out of the rimfires arent really all that good they dont have enough power to kill a little sparrow at like 5 foot so yea hollow points would be alot better.

I ve killed about 3 pick up loads of rattle snakes with an old ruger single six 4 5/8 in barrel with .22 mag bird shot. I actually put the stuff on a pattern board at 10 yards and it did way better outta a short handgun barrel than outta my rifles.shot a couple with .45 shot loads they work good to but if I know there is a snake in my future I grab my handy little .410 shotgun
its a snake killin wizbang JB

Cold, there was an article in one of the gun mags, maybe 2-3 years ago, about the bird shot (snake shot) rounds. Upshot was, pistols are much better than rifles, pattern-wise; 22 cals patterned better than larger calibers (maybe because they use #12 shot instead of #9); and pattern spread tends to be about 1 inch of spread per foot of range (kinda makes it a real short-range proposition, maybe 12-15 feet, and 8 is probably better!). Hope this helps!
Mark

COLD: pattern your 22 mag 'snake loads' on a piece of cardboard at whatever distance you might shoot one at. i've found that 22 LR shot loads spread rapidly, and the pattern thins out quickly. dunno about 22 mag loads.

i'am in in illiniois so i don't know much about rattlers but i know a guy how shot a stray cat at 25 yds an killed it with the cci .22lr shot shells and these shells have plenty of power i have shot sparrows out to 35 yds but the winchester shells for 22lr pattern better at 5-15 yds than cci { a wide pattern } the plastic cap helps hold the shot together { i think }i don't have a 22 mag all 22lr if you are looking for a good 22 close range rattle shell a 22 short should do the job i have never killed a sparrow flying no matter what range it could just be the swinging of the barrel for leading them it is not becuase i trapshoot all the time and even won state last year

wow thanks for the info guys

ok I found the gun mag article with the bird shot rimfire round up

OK so I have the CCI 22 mag bird shot shels (mouth full to say). IM heading to the range this weekend and will take some pics of patters and post em here, results etc

Hey Cold,

Here in Georgia we have rattlers but not as big as in Texas. I and most of my hunting buddies carry snub nosed 38s with Speer shotshell capsules full of number 9. Works great out to about 15 feet. The 22s just do not have enough power to kill them quickly. Also require multiple shots.

Reloading the shotshell capsules is easy. You can also buy them already loaded at most gun stores.

Larry

About 15 yrs ago I lived in S Dak. and had a 22 mag pistol and shot over a 100 rattlers in one summer. I traded up to a .38 spec. because of price of shot sells; I reloaded .38s. But it worked well as I remember.

I've used the 22lr shot shell out of a High Standard 4 1/2" barrel pistol at 5-7 feet and they work real good.

I judge the distance to shoot from. If it's coiled to strick, no waiting, one or two shots and then I back off.

Have fun and God Bless.

My gun of choice in Texas hill country is a 12 guage sawed off and birdshot. I am not that good of a shot. Never shot a rattlesnake with ratshot using my .22 mag but it works like a charm on barn swallows that want to make a mud nest in the garage. It will kill a small bird at about up to about 15 yards. It should work on a rattler.

My choice for snake charmer is a 38 S&W with birdshot. I've shot more water mocs with one than rattlers. Hit em in the head, instant kill.

i just walk around them. its just a snake guys. if you really need to kill a wack with a stick will do. did you guys see the buckmasters where jacky was up on his blazer trying to get away from a rattler? what a sis!
if there in your yard or around where kids or pets might get bit then kill em all but if your out hunting, in there back yard, you are no hero blasting them with shot. leave 'em be.

Back