Reloading 9mm, is it worth it?

Dirt Nap

I'm thinking of reloading a lot of 9mm. It seems using free range brass that you would be able to save about half the price on buying bulk. Is this possible? I know it's time consuming so I don't want to hear that as a factor. Thanks

The last time I bought bulk 9mm I paid $140 for 1000 rounds. I cant reload them for much less using a jacketed bullet. They have gone up some since then but still not to the point that I want to reload them.

I reload for everything I own and shoot, including the 9mm.

While a guy may first get into reloading for the cost savings, in the big picture, it gives you satisfaction of rolling your own, the ability to try different bullets/loads, and lets you shoot more for less, which makes you a better shot in the long run.

I reload the 9mm. While the savings isn't as great as with the 45 ACP or rifles, if you already have the basic equipment you do save some money.
Generally you can find 9mm brass because a lot of people don't reload it. Quality jacketed 9mm bullets can be had for $85/1000 shipped, and lead is cheaper than that.

Most economy 9mm ammo is fmj. If you are going to take your 9mm with you calling predators you can reload using a quality jhp bullet for about the same price you can buy economy fmj's.

Originally Posted By: Dirt NapWhere were you buying the 1k for $140? I can't find it for that price

It was at a gun show about a year ago.

I always have the dies and other equipment for everything I own. And I always work up a good load and then keep those primers, powder and bullets on hand.

But that doesn't mean I will always reload for that gun. I recently bought a couple of 380 pistols, but I have been able to find enough reasonably price ammo for the amount of shooting I'm doing with them.

I can reload LRN 9mm for USPSA competitions for just under $.13 a shot. (picking up my own brass)
As for FMJ bulk packs, lately if you can find 1000 rds much under $200 it is a good deal.

How quickly we forget. Four years ago you couldn't find ANY handgun ammo. Cost is not everything. If you cannot find it you cannot buy it. Load your own and stock well.

I dont do the math on any caliber i own. If i have the gun, i load for it including 9mm However if i did the math, i cn load premium bullets for less than bulk garbage for most calibers.

If i was still cranking a trigger 1000 times a month i would care more.

I use mixed HS brass, anything clean, load 115gr. lead bullets and can stay under 10 cents a round. Five bucks a box is pretty hard to beat for plinking ammo.

My average is 200-300 rds. per week.

Plus, I enjoy loading. Spend a lot of time at it.

Last edited:
Yep it is worth it. But you need to buy bulk bullets and brass. Here is a place to get bulk once fired brass from. http://www.bbrbrass.com/index.php/bulk-pistol-brass/bulk-9mm-once-fired-brass.html No need to buy new when once fired will do.
grin.gif

These aren't exact prices but, $30 for primers, $30 for once fired brass, $70(I use bayous) for bullets and what $10-15 for powder. You should save some depending on how much your time is worth, even more if you can find brass.

The cheapest bulk 9mm I have found was 200 per 1000. A coworker bought a box and hates them. Hang fires, duds and horrible accuracy out of his M&P and Sig.

I use Frontier plated bullets @ 70.00 per 1000, 26.00 for 1000 primers, and 20-22 for a pound of Tightgroup. With the brass I have, that puts me around 120 per 1000 and the accuracy is great. Loaded some for the same coworker and he went out and bought a press the next week.

I just loaded 700 rounds yesterday in a pretty short time. I would say it's worth it.

Originally Posted By: buckthumperI been buying 50 rounds for $9.99. don't think you could really save any money at that price.

6 bucks/50 rounds sounds like savings to me.

It's no good to say that somebody bought ammo at some super-cheap price some time ago. Since ammo only goes bang once, all that matters is what you can get it for right now.

Assuming the brass is free and you're willing to shoot whatever bullets you can get at a low price, then it's worth it. Assuming, of course, you're willing to invest your time.

9 MM is, I admit, a little marginal. Assuming you're buying bullets, powder, and primers in large lots to get the best deal, then I think you can almost always make it pay. Granted, it will take you thousands of rounds minimum to pay off the purchase of of the set of dies, so the ROI point is significantly fruther down the road than it is for a 300 mag or something where ammo is $30 or $40 a box.

I reloaded some .308 ammo for a friend and made money back for him the first time I loaded compared to the super-primo stuff he was buying at $28 a box.

Grouse

I have a DWM luger, I handload lead bullets for. Everything else, I shoot winchester's, Gold Dot or Hydro Shocks.

Reloading is a must if you shoot a few hundred a month.

Back