7mm08 w760 mag primer ?

j.hennes

I have seen it written several times to use a magnum primer when using w760 for the 7-08. Are there any adjustments to be made? I have seen nowhere to adjust the load. My Hornady book says to never use mag primers where large rifle are prescribed.

I am planning on starting at about 45.0 gr of w760 for a 150gr sp. and working up towards a max of 47.0 gr.

Any advice would be appreciated.

The rule of thumb I was taught was to reduce the load by one full grain when using a mag primer in place of a standard primer. You then can work up from there. I have done this and it has worked out for me. YMMV

Originally Posted By: pahntr760I never used mag primers in the 7-08 or 243 with 760. They shot just fine and were accurate.

Same here, I use 210's with nary a problem.

They did used to tell you to use mag primers with ball powder.
They also said that artificial sweeteners were safe, and that the government is here to "help" you.....

Mag primers were invented SPECIFICALLY for Roy Weatherby's 75+ grain cartridges.
As you are nowhere NEAR that amount.....

Dr. Denton Bramwell has done quiet alot of testing on this general theory of mag/non.
Generally speaking, the results are: 30-06 and down, there is essentially zero difference.

Now YMMV. In my 243, 25-06, 308, and 264WM I interchange mag & Non-Mag CCI/Win primers constantly with absolutely no difference according to the chrony. That is shooting 748/760/CFE ball powders.

When you use a Mag Primer do it like any other load work up, If you see anything that says you are getting to much pressure, don't go any higher and reduce your load by what ever it takes to be within the safe limits. Mag primers may help and they may not, you will never know till you try it.

DAB

Last edited:
With H414/W760 I use magnum primers. Even in the 22-250. Better accuracy and more consistant crongraph readings are normal. Having tried the same loads with W-LR, Fed-LR, CCI-LR. LRM primers have proven to be just a bit better. I never had much success with lower pressure loads with H414/W760 but at the top of its usful range it has nearly always shined.

Back