300 Win Mag muzzle brake (pics added) (first group and recoil report)

Thank you guys, I don't know how much hunting will get done with it. It's kinda of an over kill for anything I would shoot around here. I try to get all my Whitetail's with a Bow. But what I really had in mind when I built it, was just trying to make a low budget "capable" long range rifle. After it was all said and done, and I saw how low cost I got it all together. I kinda wish I would have spent a little more money and got a Shilen Match Grade barrel. But after all the reviews I've seen lately, on Savageshooter.com. Threads about the ER Shaw group buy deals, and range reports from customer's and searches I've done on here (Rustydust and others). I figured it wasn't a huge gamble to try another Shaw barrel. Never used one on a bolt, but my first AR had a ER Shaw and it was an EXCELLENT shooting rifle. I have to travel out to the western states for work from time to time. I'd really like to take this out to Utah or Idaho and play a few rounds of Rifle Golf with it...
smile.gif

My buddy that put it together proof fired it. He used a 180 grain bullet that should be around 3000 fps. He thought it had less recoil then his .270 M700 BDL. He said he never thought that brake would be that efficient. I weighed it tonight and it weighs in at 10.2 lbs. scoped. My first gen unfluted Sendero weighs 11.4 scoped, just for reference.

Can I ask a question? I have a 300 wby vanguard . I would like to get one put on factory barrel. How much would it cost to like ship it to a good gun smith and have him put it on. What do u think it would cost for his work time and brake? Anybody around Arkansas that could do the job ty Richard

Fr loads, a dose of RE-22 and a 165 Sierra GameKing HPBT works well, for my buds XBolt. It's is 3 shots at 100. I did it twice.

f45d2694.jpg

Originally Posted By: varmit_masterCan I ask a question? I have a 300 wby vanguard . I would like to get one put on factory barrel. How much would it cost to like ship it to a good gun smith and have him put it on. What do u think it would cost for his work time and brake? Anybody around Arkansas that could do the job ty Richard

I originally thought I was going to put the brake on my factory Savage barrel, but it was not big enough diameter with .550" at the muzzle. Yours might be big enough you'll have to measure it. I would say you need to have at least .680" to thread 5/8-24, but more would be better. I talked to a smith in my area that has done alot of work for me before and he wanted $75 plus tax to thread the a barrel and index the brake. Break's vary in price. You might look at porting if it's too thin.

I kinda put the cart before the horse cause I actually rebarreled so I could us the brake I had...

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Fr loads, a dose of RE-22 and a 165 Sierra GameKing HPBT works well, for my buds XBolt. It's is 3 shots at 100. I did it twice.

VERY NICE, I was hoping it will like R-22, My Senedro loves it. Right now what I have in stock to try is R-19, R-22, H4831SC.

875FF7AB-5522-435C-B51B-6B15D2E59AA1-2612-000004183652C843.jpg

I got the 300 win mag project sighted in today, and shot the first group. This was the very first load I have tried in it. I have to start off be saying the recoil reduction is INCREDIBLE! I was amazed how light the recoil is with the Titan SJC brake. I would honestly compare it closely to the 25-06 Sendero I have. It has less recoil then my 85 grain "hot" .243 load out of my Remington 700 BDL @ 3300 fps. I honestly can't believe how pleasant it is to shoot now. I put 6 rounds through it tonight to get it zero'd and then shot the group in the picture. I pulled the third shot on the left. I will have to tighten up the trigger, it is too light! Out of the 6 I had one go off on closing the bolt, it hit the paper low and there was no danger but it WOKE ME UP! I had my finger on the trigger and was trying to control my breathing when it went pop. It's the third shot in the group, (on the left side). But It still managed a sub MOA group. If ANYONE has a big .308 caliber rifle and is looking for a brake the Titan is MONEY! This was an older Nosler accuracy load of 75.5 grains of RL22 and a 180 g. Hornady interlock, soft point/flat base bullet. I will probably go to a different 180 g. bullet after I use these up, but I am happy it likes RL22 as that's my 25-06's favorite as well. Now it's time for an 8# jug.

Don't you love how we justify things?! Well... I have a spare muzzle break.. Might as well build a 300 win mag to put it on!
wink.gif

I did the exact same thing this morning. I had a gas block and tube laying around.. so I ordered an upper, lower, and am looking at a barrel to put them on!

Nice rifle!

Last edited:
Been there!!!
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: blopez50Don't you love how we justify things?! Well... I have a spare muzzle break.. Might as well build a 300 win mag to put it on!
wink.gif

I did the exact same thing this morning. I had a gas block and tube laying around.. so I ordered an upper, lower, and am looking at a barrel to put them on!

Nice rifle!

Yes, you know you have a problem when you build a rifle around a $100 muzzle brake you have laying in the safe. But I'm glad I did. I'm gonna play with seating depths and see how much better I can get it to shoot. That groups is nothing spectacular but it IS the first 3 shot, not the best three shot. The recoil is so minor on this 300WM that I'm really thinking about going up to a 200-220 grain bullet. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
I'd use a 200-210 match bullet if you want to ring out the 300 WM range and accuracy.

I have hunted and shot and loaded for quite a few 300s over the years, for myself, family and friends.

RL22 is made for the 300 mag with 180g bullets, universal load is most 180g bullet with 75g RL22. Shoots MOA or under in every 300 I've worked with.

My dad is the only one with a brake on his 300. He has the "V Port" by Nathan Dagley. Awesome looking break and very efficient. Brings recoil down to 25-06, but with no muzzle jump, great for spotting your own LR shots when you have no spotter.

I like brakes on magnums for LR shooting. Makes em a lot more tolerable on the range for practicing, spot your own shots, practically no recoil. Obviously one downfall is noise but thats ok, guns are already loud so dont see the big deal really. If your that worried about it, wear plugs or muffs or dont get one, or stay at least 10 feet away and back from a guy who does have one lol.

I prefer holland type brakes myself. No holes on bottom is a must for where I shoot and hunt. No sand/dirt baths for me, my rifle, or scopes please and thank you...That leaves VAIS type brakes out for me.

I like the 300, its a good round, but I like the 7 a bit better. It will do most if not everything a bit better and with quite a bit less recoil. Either way, they are both dandy LR hunting/target rounds!!

The 200 g. Sierra SBT is looking good right now, any other suggestions? I'd like a 220 but I can't find a hunting bullet that isn't a round nose, and while I think a 220 grain matchking would hit with plenty of force. I know they are not designed to expand. Any Suggestions? Rifle is a 1-10 twist.

My brake is meant for a 7.62 AR rifle for three gun type shooting. But it works GREAT at the end of the Win Mag. Here is a vid of it in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtwUIhMQ78o&feature=relmfu

I'm liking that rig except for one small detail...the Army stock pack,,,now if it said USMC
lol.gif
thumbup.gif
I would probably shoot my Abolt 300 more if it had a break. Hope I can get this link to work if not you can copy and paste.http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloading-components/bullets/rifle-bullets/berger-bullet-samples-prod44877.aspx

Maybe a cheaper way to try some Bergers if your interested.

Back