Match Grade Bullets for Coyotes

BallisticBen

I'm sure that this topic had already been discussed, but I would like to talk about it. I have read on mulitple bullet manufacturing websites that "Match" grade bullets are not recommended for hunting.
confused.gif
So my questions to you folks are; why, and who hunts coyotes with match grade bullets? Have you had any issues with killing dogs with match grade bullets, if so what? As always, thanks for your input.

I have shot a few and they worked real well. That being said, I have not shot enough over a long enough time be be a good judge.

I think that the main problem is expansion or lack of. Most bullets are designed to "work" in a certain velocity range. Match bullets are designed to be accurate with no promise of hunting type qualities.

I use the Sierra 52 Gr. Matchkings for Sage Rat shooting in my AR. They kill them just as dead as the 55 Gr. V-Max do.

I use them on P-Dogs and Sage Rats, Does a great job.

DAB

Last edited:
I've shot many coyotes with Berger 75gr. Match VLD Target bullets out of a 22-6mm and I don't recall a single runner. Some maybe took a step or two before they took a dirt nap but that's been it. Usually, it's bang, flop, dead!

I use Hornady 52 gr match in my 223 AR and Berger 35 gr match in my 204. The performance is outstanding. Most times a small hole going in and nothing coming out. They fragment and turn the insides of the coyote to liquid. I would have a hard time not using them. I am trying them in my 17 Rem AR but have not shot a coyote yet. Heard they work in it just as good.

Originally Posted By: B23I've shot many coyotes with Berger 75gr. Match VLD Target bullets out of a 22-6mm and I don't recall a single runner. Some maybe took a step or two before they took a dirt nap but that's been it. Usually, it's bang, flop, dead!
My favorite bullet as well.

I really appreciate everyone’s input. I'm not too afraid now to load some up and hunt coyotes with them. I really want to shoot a heavier bullet to help "buck" the wind a little better and most companies only make the .224 cal bullets heavier than 55 gr. in their match grade bullets. I just put together a new AR with some great glass on it so I am more confident shooting at longer distances. Not that I will ever shoot at a dog way out there, but I want to have the proper tools to do so if needed.

For years the only bullet I used was a Sierra 52 gr. BTHP, over enough H=380 to reach 3600 fps.
It was tremendous. DRT, no exit. At least for me.
One little hole, jelly in the middle.

re

Originally Posted By: bushyI love the 52/53 match hp's. 69 smk is a dog smoker also.

69gr SMK= smack down on yotes. Damm accurate too!

interesting, i know people who have used 69gr sierra's on coyotes with very poor results.
i personally have used 168gr matchkings in a 308, coyotes would not even leave a blood trail in the snow for 100 yards or more with a perfect hit. i lost a couple due to that.

i use game bullets for game, target bullets for targets.

Originally Posted By: Yote Yoda USMC53gr Hornady has the best BC and will devestate a coyote. It's not match grade but is offered in there Superformance line of ammo. GOOD stuff.

The 53 AMax is a match bullet. Just one with a poly tip.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: Yote Yoda USMC53gr Hornady has the best BC and will devestate a coyote. It's not match grade but is offered in there Superformance line of ammo. GOOD stuff.

The 53 AMax is a match bullet. Just one with a poly tip.

It's actually a 52 gr AMAX, and 53 gr VMAX. Not trying to be nit picky, but they are two different bullets with different construction. The AMAX is a Match bullet to where the VMAX is not. The 53 VMAX actually has a slightly higher B.C. than the 62 A does. I have ran the 53 Vamx with great results, I am however leary of its performance and fur damage on bobcats though. Currently I have been using 140 Amax's through my Creedmor, with great results. Small hole going in, small hole going out, Yotes are DRT.

Back