bedding trap in peat moss

COYKILL

I remade my traps today because of all the rain we received and I used peat moss as the ground is starting to freeze. What is the best way to bed the trap when using the moss?

I use peat all the time, I dig my bed, put the peat in, pack it down, put in more and pack somemore, I then put the trap in and push it down into the peat and make sure its solid, once I get the trap set in the bed solid, I take my sifter and sift more peat over and around the trap, carefully clean off the pan when it gets peat on it, keep packing the peat as you go. once you get the entire trap except the pan covered, I take my dry dirt and sift it over the trap pattern to help blend it in, while doing this, I keep the pan clean and pack the dirt on the trap pattern, after everything is covered exept the pan, which should be slightly lower then everything else, I take 3 marble size clogs out of the sifter, and place 1 besides the dog, one beside each lever. then I put my final sifting over the entire pattern to hide the pan, when I am done, there should be about 1/8 to 1/4 inch of dry dirt on the pan and the entire pattern, I then take some dead grass and turn my sifter upside down and rub the grass on it to help make the set blend in a little. hope this helps.

I bed mine solidly in the dirt and then cover/fill with peat making sure that all of the void under the pan is filled with peat. I do not make any attempt to pack the peat. I then sift a covering of dirt over the trap pattern.

No, I do not use pan covers. One of the benefits of peat is that, unless it gets waterlogged and then froze, it will compress giving little or no resistance. This allows your pan to drop freely when pushed down on. You do have to be careful not to get any clumps or sticks under your pan that could prevent it from freely falling. It's best if you sift it either at the set or preseason prior to storing. You'll also want to cut open your bales, or bags of peat during the hot summer months to let it dry out good too if your able. This will prevent it from freezing at your sets.

Back