What does the c mean after load data

Ernest II

I just picked up some IMR4227 powder and in the Lee Reloading manual the load data says starting load is 22.0c for a 240 gr jacketed bullet.So what does the small c mean? I can not find anything about compressed loads but if I remember correctly the c means compressed.Can someone explain compressed loads? Ive never hadthis problem before since all my loads just a little over half filled the cases.
Thanks
Daryl P.

"Compressed"

Meaning, the bottom of the bullet will at very least contact the powder. Also, it is only compressed if the bullet is seated at SAAMI OAL... if seating longer the load may or may not still be compressed.

C does mean compressed, meaning the bullet pushes down on the powder charge. Some compression is OK, too much can push the bullet back out over time.

It means Compressed load. With the data you provided I would assume that you are loading for a 44mag, its not uncommon to have a compressed load with imr 4227 or h110 in the 44mag, with most compressed loads the bullet accually compresses against the powder when you seat it. The amount does change with the powder, you can have 22 grains of powder that is a stick type like imr, or 22 grains of a flake type and the stick powder might be a compressed load and the flake wont be just because it takes up more room in the case. Not 100 percent sure if thats right but its what I was taught

Last edited:
As long as I load the minimum no more or no less and seat the bullet to the minumumoal of 1.6 I should be safe correct?The starting grains is 22.0c and the never exceed is27.0c The velocity for the minumum load is listed at1553 and the pressure at 34020.Im just being a little over cautious since I dont need a gun blowing up on me.
I appreciate the help.The 27.0c seems a bit much but then a grain isnt that much powder but going from 22 to 27 seems like it would be quite compressed. If I had known this I would have bought the powder but I dont mind having diff powders available. I really like the LIL Gun that I use.
Daryl P.

If you look at the bottom of each page that starts a new chambering in your Lee loading manual...it clearly states " c = compressed charge".

Handloading requires a certain amount of reading and comprehension. If you aren't reading.........

Geez I feel dumb now. I have a bad habit of not looking at fine print. Its getting harder to focus In my old age.LOL
Thanks
Daryl P.

No problem just givin ya a bad time. I think I read that book like several times.

Not everyone processes information the same, as long as you get good information....whatever media works for you.

I see some things in your post I wanted to comment on. First remember 1.600 is the Min OAL anything longer will only reduce the pressure. When loading the 44 magnum to this level you need to have a good heavy crimp to keep the bullet from jumping the crimp and locking up your revolver. Also I looked in my new Lee reloading manual they list 22.0 grains of IMR 4227 as a starting load as your book said but 24.0 as a maximum load. I checked this with Hogden's web site and they listed the same load Data.Good luck and have fun.
Aaron

Back