Remington 700 SPS Varmint Stock

Originally Posted By: SEHunterWell, i ordered the H-S police stock last night from Midway because it was on sale $40 bucks off. I beleive it is the same one that Remington used on the police model.

"Skim" bedding- is this another term for glass bedding or is this different?

With either- is it best to bed the first couple inches of the barrel also or does it really matter?

A "skim bedding" is specific to the rear of the recoil lug. It means to only skim in enough bedding [glass or Devcon 10110] to make complete contact with the rear of the recoil lug and the aluminum bedding block.

You may bed forward of the recoil lug 1.5-2.0 inches if needed.

I think the SPS stock is one of the worst stocks made. When I bought mine I ordered a B&C Medalist as soon as I got home.

Groups went from 1.5" to 1/2" with the new stock.

They're junk, you'll waste your time trying to bed it.

REMSPS.jpg

Originally Posted By: joedI think the SPS stock is one of the worst stocks made. When I bought mine I ordered a B&C Medalist as soon as I got home.

Groups went from 1.5" to 1/2" with the new stock.

They're junk, you'll waste your time trying to bed it.

REMSPS.jpg

He is not asking about bedding the original stock, but skim bedding the H.S or B&C.

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleRePete may chime in here since I bought his Rem 700 SPS Tactical...He had installed a HS Tactical stock on it as well and to my knowledge, had not done anything additional to the stock..The rifle shoots extremely well for a .223...

Rem700SPSa.jpg

That's an old VS stock I bought on-line. I've read that remmy used both H-S & B-C over the years, but have no idea which one that is.
I've also had a couple of H-S PSS stocks (I like the palm swell) but I've never bedded any of em, and they all shot pretty good.
The elitist's say to skim bed em, but H-S tells ya not to, so who knows.
I'd shoot it first and then decide if another thousandth of an inch smaller group's worth the money (if it helps at all). IMO, the money's better spent on a good trigger.

"YMMV"
Sorry Winnie.
wink.gif

PS,,, I'll add that I've had two SPS's that I put in better stocks.
The one I sold to Turtle because the twist wasn't what Remmy advertised, and the other (223) I had morphed into a 222.
Both were rough as a cob, but the barrels are allot better than they should be and turned out to be really nice rifles after some mods.
I'd buy that 250 with confidence, if that's what you like, and plan to upgrade the stock and trigger anyway.
Luck

Well, bought it Saturday morning. Its already in an H-S police stock and i just ordered a Timney 510 trigger and the H-S trigger guard/floor plate to clip conversion.

BTW- why the heck is the aftermarket bottom metal so expensive? I have a bad splurgeing problem when im excited over a new toy so i ordered it thinking that with it being so expensive, it MUST help somthing. Probably should have researched first.

Originally Posted By: SmokelessOriginally Posted By: SEHunterWell, i ordered the H-S police stock last night from Midway because it was on sale $40 bucks off. I beleive it is the same one that Remington used on the police model.

"Skim" bedding- is this another term for glass bedding or is this different?

With either- is it best to bed the first couple inches of the barrel also or does it really matter?

A "skim bedding" is specific to the rear of the recoil lug. It means to only skim in enough bedding [glass or Devcon 10110] to make complete contact with the rear of the recoil lug and the aluminum bedding block.

You may bed forward of the recoil lug 1.5-2.0 inches if needed.

I would like to try this since i have to take the action back out to install the trigger. Do you have any tips on specificly bedding the lug area or do you know of a good write up on it anywhere?

Got mine switched over to a HS with fat plam swell last week.Doesnt shoot any better but it sure feels better.Sniped this one in a bean field yesterday.

photo-4.jpg

I bedded the lug and the front block. Just finished and the Devcon is curing. I didnt grind out any of the original block surface where the barrel lays but scratched it up real good with a Dremel and drilled a hand full of small dimples in it. As long as its not locked in the morning, i will feel pretty good about it. Used enough shoe polish to polish a million shoes i believe.

I was here last year. I went with a B&C just because it was cheaper and IMHO it is plenty of stock. I went from shooting 3-4 inch patterns to shooting 1/2" groups with my first batch of handloads. I havent even though about bedding it yet because for the time being it shoots good enough for me.

The HS should be a simple drop in. My B&C was a simple drop it but all I had to do was take some emory cloth and polish the inside of the stock so that the bottom metal would fit. It took me a whopping 10 minutes and now I have a nice snug fit.

Back