Ruger 17 Hornet

6mm, you NEED one. Small 17's are a love affair.

I had a pair of 19 Hornets for several years and it is a great caliber too. For me, it was too much overlap so I sold them. Calhoon makes a nice conversion kit for Rugers and CZ's if you want to use an existing rifle.

Claimbuster, I do like the .17 HMR for what it is - for crows and small stuff. I've wanted a .17 of some sort for bobcats, fox and coyotes, so this one may be the one. I'll wait a bit and see what the verdict is before taking the plunge.

Just now found this interesting YouTube clip. These guys shot into ballistic gellatin with the 17 HMR and the 17 Hornet. Take a look, just watch to the end to see the gellatin test results.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Now you've done it! This site has cost me more money than I can ever begin to explain.

I want one.

Yep ...lol
Me too.

Some of you guys may want to hold off on buying a 17H for a little while. I found this over on another forum and it really looks promising. It's the new 458 Hornet soon to be introduced by Hornady.

Pistolcartridge.jpg

Originally Posted By: claimbusterSome of you guys may want to hold off on buying a 17H for a little while. I found this over on another forum and it really looks promising. It's the new 458 Hornet soon to be introduced by Hornady.

Pistolcartridge.jpg

LMAO!!! Now you've started something I have a feeling!!!

Originally Posted By: Mike BOriginally Posted By: claimbusterSome of you guys may want to hold off on buying a 17H for a little while. I found this over on another forum and it really looks promising. It's the new 458 Hornet soon to be introduced by Hornady.

Pistolcartridge.jpg

LMAO!!! Now you've started something I have a feeling!!!
this site cost me money for sure.
just about cost me a new lap top lol as I spit coffee all over when I saw that socom hornet
thanks guys hehehee

I don't know if the .17 HH would fit in the action, but that cartridge looks like the CZ 452 Varmint would be a perfect fit for it.

I have one in .17 hmr, and I absolutely love the CZ.

Originally Posted By: claimbusterSome of you guys may want to hold off on buying a 17H for a little while. I found this over on another forum and it really looks promising. It's the new 458 Hornet soon to be introduced by Hornady.

Pistolcartridge.jpg

Hornady is a riot for sure!

Huntsman~

That rifle is just screaming for attention ... and it looks like your doing a helluva job giving it some!

You are killing me every time you post up pics of that thing. I'm trying to be strong!
cursing.gif

Originally Posted By: ab_bentleyWhat the [beeep], PD's in the fields on day snow hares the next, Colorado is one weird place. Adam

That looks to me to be a Jack rabbit. No good to eat for me.

Huntsman, that little gun is a machine for varmints though!

Couple of questions about the 17 hh:

1. How loud is it compared to a regular 17 hmr?

2. Excluding dies, has anyone calculated the cost of reloading 50 rounds of 17 HH compared to buying 17 hmr?

Thanks

Originally Posted By: rookie7Couple of questions about the 17 hh:

1. How loud is it compared to a regular 17 hmr?

2. Excluding dies, has anyone calculated the cost of reloading 50 rounds of 17 HH compared to buying 17 hmr?

Thanks

It is a little louder at a shooting bench, but if you were out on a farm, the farmer would not be able to tell which you were using.

It is always cheaper.

Originally Posted By: rookie71. How loud is it compared to a regular 17 hmr?

When you're running full bore loads, a good bit. I'd say into the 17FB territory.

Originally Posted By: rookie72. Excluding dies, has anyone calculated the cost of reloading 50 rounds of 17 HH compared to buying 17 hmr?

Well first you either have to buy factory ammo or brass: $50 shipped for 100 pieces of 22H brass or 80$ for 60 17HH loaded rounds.

Next if you use the 22H brass you need another dies to form them, I used a cheap Hornady 17FB die, so 20$ if you go that route.

Then you need a trimmer for the 22H brass 90$ for a LE Wilson trimmer.

Then you'll still need a set of 17HH dies, 40$ shipped.

Then bullets and powder if you don't have AA1680 or a similar powder it's going to run you about 18$ per pound plus primers are going to be close to 20$ plus hazmat on the powder too if you don't buy them at the local place. so maybe 60$ for those two items and bullets will be about 15$ per 100. So now lets break this down.

Remember this is for 50rds

From 22H (per 100) 17HH (per 50)
Brass: $50 $25
Form Die: $20 -
Trimmer: $90 -
Powder: $18 $18
Primer: $20 $20
Bullets: $14 $14
17HH dies: $40 $40
-------------- -------
Total: $252 $117

Now looking at this you're thinking it's a no thought choice, but I would opt for the 22H. You can make the brass to fit the rifle where I know for a fact the facotry ammo has a huge headspace (about .030) and can cause case head seperation after a few good reloadings. So to be fair now half of $252 is $126. This is the intial buy, now you have to calculate in the number of reloadings, 17HMR once, I am on my 4th reloading with the 17HH brass I formed. So that $126 dollars is now broken into 4ths, meaning I am down to about $31 per 50 but I am also getting speeds of 3700fps with the 20gr Vmax and Ramshot Powder, 1200fps faster than the 17HMR. As long as I anneal and take care of the brass my cost could be into the few dollars per 50. Say I get 10 reloadings from that fist 50, I am now paying about $13 per 50 rounds minus the cost of new bullet. And that 1lb of powder, well at 11gr per shot, I can get almost 636rds from it. It would be about 50% less if you went with the 17HH to start with also.

Adam

Last edited:
Back