More Hydro Dipping ATACS CAMO Pattern

KAG

Well the winds were just absolutely Howling today so no Crappie fishing so.....I did some hydro dipping

Since Fur Bearer Season / Coyote hunting will soon occupy most of my time. I decided to do some hydro dipping today. Some may remember my 25cal AR I built and then hydro dipped in a marsh grass pattern from late winter last year. Well I got a new pattern in earlier this year that I have been wanting to use on one of my long range bolt rifles.

I usually use my 25AR for yotes but there is a time and place to unlimber the heavy barrel 25-06. I hand load for almost everything and its a heavy hitter. Tipped with Speer 87gr TNT's and its not a pelt gun. Bucks the wind very well. Plus almost always when you call in a pair or more and after you take your first shot, the others will run out there a few hundred yds and stop to look back giving you another long range shot on the second one...perfect for this gun.

This patten is called ATACS and you will more than likely be seeing it more and more. I really does a blend very well. You can change the base coat to suit the major terrain color tone. I chose a light tan because of the dead grass colors I find here even in the dead of winter.

The shotgun is an earlier ATACS dip I did. I used a different base and you can see the difference. I usually transport the 25AR, 25-06, & 12ga and use which ever one best suits the given terrain I am working and calling.

So far everything has held up well to wear and tear that I dipped earlier and have been using.

atacs7.jpg

atacs9.jpg

atacs4.jpg

atacs3.jpg

atacs8.jpg

atacs10.jpg

25AR.jpg

Last edited:
The Savage heavy barrel bolt gun in the photo is a wood laminate stock. No accuracy issues that I have ever been able to discern.

Never been asked that one before

What did you use as a base color?
I did one once, keeping the black underneath and was very disappointed with how dark it came out. I want to try again, but am unsure of what to use as a base coat.

Hey, just a question from a complete novice on dipping.
I'm looking at dipping a camera, it's water proof so can't see a problem there but how do you go about stopping it from adhearing to lenses, screens and other parts you don't want effected by the dip?

another newbie question what the heck is dipping lol. Like I know what it is I didn't know you could do it at home though is it something simple to set up and do from home? It looks sharp I wanna try it on a few of mine if its something easily done from home.

Originally Posted By: daveInMEWhat did you use as a base color?
I did one once, keeping the black underneath and was very disappointed with how dark it came out. I want to try again, but am unsure of what to use as a base coat.

Light Tan. The base color sets the overall color tone and determines how light or dark it turns out.

Originally Posted By: Aussie HowlerHey, just a question from a complete novice on dipping.
I'm looking at dipping a camera, it's water proof so can't see a problem there but how do you go about stopping it from adhearing to lenses, screens and other parts you don't want effected by the dip?

Prep prep prep. Tape and an exacto knife. I have used a Q-tip and vasoline to very lightly swab the buttons on a remote control. Then used acetone to remove it or any film before it cures out. This the best I can offer because I am no expert....I am just a guy that see's things and says 'I can do that".

Originally Posted By: Clayton86another newbie question what the heck is dipping lol. Like I know what it is I didn't know you could do it at home though is it something simple to set up and do from home? It looks sharp I wanna try it on a few of mine if its something easily done from home.

Yes its easy. My dip station is my kitchen table. I use a 40x18x8 rubber maid tub. Prep & patience is the key with a trial and error learning curve. Lots of youtube videos out there. Did I mention prep & patience...

Trust me...if I can do it so can you

Last edited:
I dig that ATACS pattern. My coyote shotgun has a really dark forest pattern on it. I need to go more desert. That pattern would work great. Looks nice!

Originally Posted By: KAGOriginally Posted By: daveInMEWhat did you use as a base color?

Light Tan. The base color sets the overall color tone and determines how light or dark it turns out.

thanks, that's what I was planning for attempt #2, I have some Desert Mint on order from Duracoat, thinking the light green color would be best for my area. I also have their UnderBrush CamoPak coming in too, I do bead blasting and duracoating, so I was going to do up one of my guns using their camo packs to see how it comes out.

Originally Posted By: Clayton86It looks sweet I found some DIY kits bout 100 bucks it seems per rifle I might just have to try it out on my .243

Just order the activator and film. You can get everything else at the auto parts store

Originally Posted By: tt35I dig that ATACS pattern. My coyote shotgun has a really dark forest pattern on it. I need to go more desert. That pattern would work great. Looks nice!

For desert I would use a very pale yellow and bet it work come out perfect or even an Antique white

Originally Posted By: gd1656What do you figure you have in materials for one long gun?

$30 once you get it figured out, about $60 till you do

Originally Posted By: markleyWhat brand of dip kit are you using?

TWN

Last edited:
Back