ok .257 weatherby or .260 ???

1coyoteslayer

Need to buy a rifle for coyotes and deer and I am torn between these calabers. I hand load everything and don't care about nice pelts. Any other suggestions welcome. (Bolt only)

Either one will do the job; there's a better selection of bullets in .264". You can also buy Lapua brass for the .260 if that's important to you.

I would go with the .257 Wby. It is a great round. I used to have one and traded it off. Worst decision I ever made. I really liked that round and will have another one eventually.

I dont know about the 260 but there is no such thing as cheap brass for a 257, its norma or weatherby brass which is the same thing but with the wby stamp it costs more. One thing to look at is the availability of the rifle. You can buy a vanguard S2 sub moa for $500 or 600 for a stainless and man do they shoot especially if you reload.

25-06

I have both 25-06 and 257 wby. I can load my 25-06 with 100 gr ballistic tips and get darn near 3500 fps and going any faster doesn't gain you that much. Also I can shoot the 110 accubonds and at 100 yards there is only a one inch difference in point of impact

I do like my 257 wby but had I found this load combo before I would have purchased a different caliber. And to those that mention or think 243 while a good round my opinion is te 25-06 does anything the 243 does only better

I have a 257 Wby. it is a good cartridge, very fast with the 100 grn. bullets 3600 fps + A couple of drawbacks, the brass is expensive, and there is not a very good selection of longrange bullets.
The .260 would have a great selection of longrange bullets to choose from, and the brass would be less expensive.

Originally Posted By: nitis25-06

I have both 25-06 and 257 wby. I can load my 25-06 with 100 gr ballistic tips and get darn near 3500 fps and going any faster doesn't gain you that much. Also I can shoot the 110 accubonds and at 100 yards there is only a one inch difference in point of impact

x2

There is a reason the 25-06 has been around almost 90yrs

Reloading is much easier as lots of 30-06 and 270 cases around.

.260 Remington would be my first choice.

I believe you can make .257 Weatherby brass from 7mm Remington brass.

Actually editing....I know you can.

Last edited:
Massive difference between two cartridges. The 257 is a hyper velocity cartridge the bbl convert to smooth bore less then 1200 rnds . The 260 is a mid range velocity,but cause of Superior bullet you can reach way out there to pet a coyote.And With triple the bbl life.

Last edited:
Back