Best places in Central or Southern California to hunt Coyotes?

Embalmer

We have been out a few times to different areas od Cali bith no luck on yotes. So far the only ones I have seen are running across the road. I have called in a few Foxes but no Yotes yet this season.

Anyone have a good idea on where to try next in Socal or Central Cali? Hell even Nevada would be good. I will be hitting AArizona soon but I need to get my lisence there first.

The guys in CSVCA know where to go in Nevada, California and Arizona, even Mexico if you want to go there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'd be asking guys like Leonard B., Rick O. or Steve S. Hell, Rick O. and Lyle B. was hunting up north before God planted coyotes up there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif If those guys won't tell you, I'll tell you where THEY go, :rolleyes: that should pi-- em off real good lol. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif They might even come out here to Apple Valley and shoot my butt if I did that, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif good luck and good hunting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Yeah, they know where to go. But I dont unfortunately. Since I am just starting out I am trying to find my way around this state (and others) for places to hunt.

They will offer up areas on where to hunt, but I am looking for specifics. Like up the 395 off at so and so exit about 3 miles in past the big rock on the right lol

Hell just exit here off of this highway at this exit would be good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif but it seems that some info is so highly gaurded that you have to muddle your way through it to learn it on your own. Which I respect wholeheartedly. But Jesus, throw me a bone here lol They found em on their own and know the hotspots all over these western states. I'm not asking for all of them or even some of them. Just one would be enough! Gotta get started and bust my cherry, get my first one out of the way.
I have only called in Foxes so far. A few in fact. No Yotes yet. I have seen a couple but they are always crossing the road or highway. Never called one in yet.

Any idea why I can call in foxes but no yotes yet? Is that a sign that I am doing something specific that would make a fox come but not a Yote?

ok!!! go out past randsberg!!!! go to the railroad tracks just past the town!!! take the tracks to the right!!go about a half mile!! turn right!! go till( gma just walked in and said!! thats where i kill my first rabbit!!) lol!! go till you get to the dry wash!! park and walk to the top of the wash to the west!!! sit there and use a raspy jackrabbit call!! or a e- call!! thats about all i can tell you!! he should come from the west in about 15 min.( east to so. west wind) wait till he gets to about 50 yds and shoot for the ribs!! good luck!!!grandpa fudge!! let me know if this works!lol!!!! it has worked for others!!

Hey Embalmer, yer doing it right if your calling in foxes.Grey fox here in Kalifornia are easy to call in and there are a bunch of em.Fox and coyote terrain overlap a lot here so you can call both species in to the same stand.Next time a fox comes in just ignore it (if you can) and keep calling, a coyote might come on in.

Hey Grandpa! Take it easy on the exclamation marks!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Last edited:
BTW Embalmer, I do some calling over at Carrizo Plains, where the San Andreas fault runs thru.Lots of critters out there and its beautiful.Gotta watch for private areas and zone restrictions though.I dont know how far you want to travel but its out by Taft, Maricopa and Cuyama Valley on Hiway 166.Lots of callers go there from LA and Bakersfield area.Lots of info over on Jesse's Hunting Page, a good bulletin board for Kalifornians.
Hope this helps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif web page
Check out the web page for Carrizo,maps and stuff

enbalmer! try a call that is raspy like the jack or super jack!!! the flicker or cottontail will call in the fox!! if you try the raspy calls you can use the on low vol.. for a while ( 5 min or so) and then turn them up to half or more and then down to low for the rest of the stand!! try a stand every mile untill you get a responce!!! a little help that the old heads know and forget to tell others is get a altimeter!! radio shack!!cheep!! when you get eyes on a stand! hunt that altitude!! that is the comfort zone for the prey and that is where the pred .. will be active!! just a little help!! god luck!! grandpa fudge

if you could see my hands i would not have to use any exclaimation marks!! lol i don't want to talk about az... lol a s...pot of pred..there!! the most i ever saw on one stand! 19

Embalmer, I'm feeling sorry for you now. I can't tell you where the hot spots in Arizona are because you can't hunt there anymore without the INS or Border Patrol on your butt, that place is history. Those guys telling you the hot spots along 395 are feeding you a line, those places were shot out 30 years ago. You can get a few coyotes there but not many. Not to far from there are a few good places but nothing great. You may want to try around Fish Lake Valley, Dyer area. If you want to hunt up in Northern Nevada you have to e mail me for those spots. California has some real good cat and fox spots and a few ok places for coyotes, Good luck and don't believe anything them SG guys tell you lol, I've known them old timers for almost 30 years. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Seen two coyotes and a fox by silverwood yesterday deer hunting. didnt see any deer my son seen a spike. but if your looking for coyotes take 395 out past Adelanto about three or four miles find a road that goes off the highway and stop away from the highway (make sure your cars at of sight)and call theres plenty of coyotes out there. theres some badgers there also. I hunt there a lot, only about 20 minutes from my house (victorville). SAT & SUN OCT 25-26 there having a gun show at the fair grounds. I'll be there on Saturday afternoon until closing at the Apple Valley Gun Club table. If you go, stop by and say high.

Norm

Hey Embalmer,

I see you're in CVCA, won't any of them boys point you in a direction? Have you tried bribery? Just kiddin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ..

Honestly, I really don't think there is a "best place" for coyotes. Some areas that are hot spots some years are slow others depending on food, hunting pressure, etc. I haven't been out hunting too much in recent years "working alot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif " but I used to get out quite a bit. Some of the area's already mentioned used to be pretty good. Used to do pretty good around Cuyama Valley on hwy 33 to 166, lots of traffic their though. Also up around the farm land around Wasco used to be o.k. Also out toward the river around Palo Verde used to have quite a few. There used to be some good places west of Needles like Goffs, Cima & Kelso but I think they are off limits now. Good luck...

Originally posted by tawnoper:
[qb]Hey Embalmer,

I see you're in CVCA, won't any of them boys point you in a direction? Have you tried bribery? Just kiddin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ..

Honestly, I really don't think there is a "best place" for coyotes. Some areas that are hot spots some years are slow others depending on food, hunting pressure, etc. I haven't been out hunting too much in recent years "working alot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif " but I used to get out quite a bit. Some of the area's already mentioned used to be pretty good. Used to do pretty good around Cuyama Valley on hwy 33 to 166, lots of traffic their though. Also up around the farm land around Wasco used to be o.k. Also out toward the river around Palo Verde used to have quite a few. There used to be some good places west of Needles like Goffs, Cima & Kelso but I think they are off limits now. Good luck...[/qb]
So far out of all of those I have only tried Cima. We got a fox out there and heard some yotes yippin but none came in.

Thanks for the ideas guys. Thats what I was looking for, places that I can try.

Back