Scope for 25-06 I have $300-400

Well I just got my Ruger 25-06 with a heavy barrel. I have 300-400 to spend on a scope. What would you get. I want to shoot at least out to 400 yards with it.

From someone who has Nikon Buckmasters (6-18x side focus) that money gets you an Elite 4200 6-24x. No comparison.

If you like the 4.5-14x range Pentax Whitetail Hunter is the same exact scope as the $500 Burris Fullfield II and can be had for about $240 from Fox optics.

Buckmaster 4.5 x 14 with Mil Dot or Weaver Grand Slams are good values in your price range. Weaver glass is awesome.

I have a Buckmasters 6-18x40 BDC on my Ruger heavy M77 25/06. It works fine for me to shoot out to 400-500 yards. A 100 yard zero, using 120gr Fusion, with the scope on 18x, the references are pretty darn close. I wouldn't say I love the BDC reticle, some people hate them, but I don't find it difficult to use.

I think your best bet is to stay with Nikon, Weaver, Burris, Leopold, etc., and go look at several of them and then choose the one you like best. All make decent glass and have good warranties.

Last edited:
I was in the same boat a while back and chose the Vortex Viper 4-12X40. I really, really like it and would buy it again. You can get one from Joe Bob's within your budget.

woodguru said:
From someone who has Nikon Buckmasters (6-18x side focus) that money gets you an Elite 4200 6-24x. No comparison.

This. I've got this scope sitting in my closet. Been on a few rifles and I love it. It's goin on my 25-06 I'm getting tomorrow

i would good nikon monarch i got mine for 370 i also have a buckmaster nikon they great scopes for the money i couple leages over them nightforce scopes but they in the 1500 to 1900 range and dont need them for 400 yrds

Cabela's has Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 on sale for $279.00 with free shipping right now. It's tough to beat that scope with $500 to spend.

I have switched most of my scopes out to lighted reticles after doing some night hunting so that's almost a requirement for me now. Huge difference. No complaint on thw Bushnell Elite 4200 I have one I will sell, I think the 6x is a liitle much for a running dog for me(I'm getting rif of the gun so don't need the scope). I have a Monarch and the glass is not as good as I thought in low light compared to Leupold or Weaver. Also have to tap the Monarch tube with a screw driver to get it to move point of impact when making adjustments(prolly a fluke) This is my favorite right now and quite a bargain, you will absolutely love the pull turrets !
http://www.natchezss.com/Optics.cfm?cont...rodTitle=Weaver 3-15X50 Super Slam Riflescope Side Focus Illu. Dual-X Reticle Matte
Glass is superb in low light and 10 settings on reticle power doesn't overlight the image. Way better than Nikon or Bushnell at the same power. I actually replaced the Monarch with a Hawke Endurance 30 3-12 x 50 after looking thru one. Literally night vs day. Couldn't make out an elk in the brush with my Monarch or my Bushnell Chuck Adams 10x42 at dusk while it was obvious with the Hawke, as was with Leupold VX2 44mm scope. Hawke also has a lighted reticle, Leupold is ~$500 for a VXR for comparison. Make sure it is the Endurance 30 line(better glasss). Their binos are the best value on the market(4 pairs later) I discovered(in the Frontier ED line). I have the 10x43 ED, hands down best at double the price.
Again, I actually have these scopes and spent a week in Idaho comparing these in low light to learn the ones I had were no good, and that Optics Planet wouldn't take them back to upgrade after 30 days. So if you want a pair of Chuck Adams, Monarch 3-9x42, or an Elite 4200 let me know.

http://randywakeman.com/Hawke-Frontier-ED-8x43-Premium-Binoculars.htm

http://randywakeman.com/LowLightScopeComparisonPartII.htm Hope this helps

I've got several Leupolds up to VXIII and several Burris scopes as well but if I was buying all my scopes again everyone of them would be a Bushnell Elite. The Elites I own are by far my favorite

Back