Clarification on coyotes not seeing red light?

wahoowad

Turned on a new red LED light in the living room - other house lights were on and this was just turning it on to see if it works. A red ball of light illuminated on a wall. My dog saw it and couldn't stop looking at it. I'm not talking a laser (my pets go nuts for it) but just a red LED light. I thought dogs/yotes didn't pick up on this so well...?

What made you think that coyotes or any other mammal was unable to see the color red?

One out eight male humans is unable to see the color red or green due to automsomal X-liked colorblindness, but I am unaware of that gene defect occurring in the retinal cones of canines.

The human red-green color deficiency mutation is hypothesized to have assisted hunter-gathering groups of prehistoric men who hunted in groups, since a red-green color blind human would have been less sensitive to natural camouflage of both predators and prey, ie normal color vision humans would not have picked up on the predator and/or prey, but the R/G colorblind hunters would have been able to detect them due to higher contrast standout...helping the group from being killed and allowing them to eat more.

you made my day skypup,
the reason I didn't join the army was they said I couldn't go air born cause I was colored blind red/green (at 25 never knew)So I said well if I can’t jump out of air planes screzz you, they said but you can work in the motor pool, screzz that as well I was a graduate of colorado school of trades for gunsmiting with 3236 hours, I aint crawling under chit to work on it!
I then Went to Alaska for 15 years and Flew a powered parachute for search & rescue for 5 years colored blind and all. But I degress

Working with my pup bunny hunting I noticed that if I light up a rabbit with my XLR250 red the pup does not react to it, but when I hit them with a white light on my hat she sees it and go’s for it? I figured is was that the red was not as noticeable and maybe something she needs to work on ?

Would love to hear thoughts and experiences on this subject, not the IR but dogs and red led’s

Impact, there are allot of men that are red-green colorblind, my father is but I don't have it and I do not carry it, however both my sisters are carriers of the gene (they don't have it either, just carry it recessive), so it passes from grandfather to grandson through the daughters.

As far as light color sensitivity for both human and dogs, violet is at the low end of the visible spectrum and dark red is at the high end of the visible spectrum with green in the middle at 550nm. Green is about 10X easier to see than either violet or dark red as the visual color sensitivity peaks at the green wavelength and rapidly decreases on a bell curve downwards on both sides from the middle 550nm green.

Dark red being at the end of the visual color spectrum at around 720nm is one of the most difficult colors to visualize.

The reason the military chose Green phosphor pigment for NVOs is that green is the most sensitive to the eye, white (a mixture of all the colors) is even less sensitive than green and tends to wash out the retina decreasing night vision.

Skypup
The only time I have ever experienced a difficulty, is in blood trailing and didn’t known it then if it wasn’t for a friend to point out the red blood on green moss I couldn’t even see it until he dipped his finger in it and then with it on a white back ground could I see red, this was after I was told that I was color blind.

So now you know why I got a dog from Tony T, I really sukk at blood trailing but I can spot them in the brush!

now that I think about it I had a friend in high School whos dad was in the air force as a observer, he was full color blind

Originally Posted By: the impactzoneSkypup
The only time I have ever experienced a difficulty, is in blood trailing and didn’t known it then if it wasn’t for a friend to point out the red blood on green moss I couldn’t even see it until he dipped his finger in it and then with it on a white back ground could I see red, this was after I was told that I was color blind.

So now you know why I got a dog from Tony T, I really sukk at blood trailing but I can spot them in the brush!

now that I think about it I had a friend in high School whos dad was in the air force as a observer, he was full color blind

This statement is on timeout UNTIL we see pics of that new pooch!
thumbup.gif

Vic

DON’T BE LOOKING AT MY JACK RABBIT
pupjackrabbit005.jpg

Last night’s jack rabbit, and this morning’s breakfast, the pups first jack it was almost as big as her. Every night this week have taken a few rabbits, good thing I don’t’ have many lady callers over to the house, if they open the fridge its full of rabbits and a gallon of hog blood for tracking

So back on the op, how does my color blindness effect my vision through NV gear? Any thoughts? my natural night visions is pretty good, I have hunted with guys who couldn't see chit at night

Not sure what you are seeing through green fluorescent NV optics, would think that the "green" would be "gray" but I don't know. The main thing when using them is being able to recognize contrast, so I do not think that is being affected.

How about the Red "battery empty" light warning, can you see that light up a color or just turn darker?

P.S. Great Pup you've got there!!!

I see green, just have a hard time with red on green, never seen the low battery in red? I see the instalert on the FLIR, and i dont' have any problem spotting game in NV

It's probably incorrect to say coyotes "don't see red light" at all. They see it differently than we do. There are plenty of discussions here with links to technical explinations. In summary, coyotes are generally less likely to spook with red spotlights vs white.
photo_zps925066b9.jpg

Originally Posted By: SkyPupWhat made you think that coyotes or any other mammal was unable to see the color red?

One out eight male humans is unable to see the color red or green due to automsomal X-liked colorblindness, but I am unaware of that gene defect occurring in the retinal cones of canines.

The human red-green color deficiency mutation is hypothesized to have assisted hunter-gathering groups of prehistoric men who hunted in groups, since a red-green color blind human would have been less sensitive to natural camouflage of both predators and prey, ie normal color vision humans would not have picked up on the predator and/or prey, but the R/G colorblind hunters would have been able to detect them due to higher contrast standout...helping the group from being killed and allowing them to eat more.

It's funny you say this. I am r g colorblind. People I deer hunt with are baffled by my ability to pick out game in the forest that they cannot see. My night vision seems slightly better too. Never put it all together.

I would trade it n for being able to blood trail better though.

It could possibly be a positive mutation based on that hypotheisis, one out of the million mutations that are not positive.

Another reason why it may have been selected for over the millenniums of time to now occur as frequently as it does.

It is a good thing that it does not have any other derogatory side effects since millions of men have it.....

Back