Disapearing chucks

d2admin

Administrator
Me and my partner Tim went for a little chuck hunt a few days ago.

Didn't get into too many, but did manage to find a few to shoot. I was trying a new load on them. A 6AI, with 75 Vmax at 3800 fps. Almost every chuck I hit, we could not find afterward. It was just throwing them too far.

Here's a video clip - Fearsome Nasty Chuck Medicine. It's about 2.3MB, so it will take awhile if you're on a dial-up!

We tried calling some coyotes just for yahoos too, since the chuck hunting was so slow. Came down off the mountain into the desert and made five or six stands. Called in three singles and a triple. Only two of them pups (the triple). Wasn't looking to kill them yet, just calling them in and messing with their little minds. Tim got itchy and blasted and adult male though...

- DAA

Those rockchucks get some awesome hangtime Dave! Thanks for sharing.

My five year old came running into the room as soon as he heard the shot on the first chuck. As he watched it he said, "Dad what kind of gun is that man using to make them fly so far?!?!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I thought I read somewhere that you might have another video out soon? When might it be available?

I also got to tell you that after watching your first video, I had put shooting jackrabbits high on my list of things to do. A few months back I made a six hour drive(we have no jacks in this part of Idaho) and shot the first jacks of my life, What a hoot that was! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Oh man! Ya'll were smoking 'em. :eek:

I like the cross hair that shows where to watch. Sometimes they are hard to see without it.

Good work.

Man, I thought I was doing good to get some footage of a few prairie dogs going pop. That's awesome. I need to get back to killin' chucks. I haven't shot any since CO made them a game animal and put a two per day limit on them. Someday I'll have to make a pilgrimage further north...

Absolutely awesome!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I'm working with a 6mm-06 these days. That fast 75 grain VMAX definitely appears to be the be-all-end-all varmint bullet...

If I can get the accuracy from the 6-06 that would be a great groundhogger.

What was the average range of these shots?

You've inspired me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dan

Glad you guys enjoyed the clip. And Lonny, I'm especially glad to hear that you were inspired to try some jack rabbit hunting. That was what my Dad started me on when I was little, and it's still one of my very favorite things to do with a rifle. And yes, we're working on a new video. Even though it's almost finished, I'm not too sure how long it will be before it's available. For sure I'll let you know when it is though. And it's got even better jack rabbit hunting than the first one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif .

Dan, those were all pretty close shots. Furthest one was only about 240 yds. We've found that chucks make poor video at much over 300 or so. At least in the situations we usually shoot them. They just blend into the surroundings so well that they don't show up on screen worth a darn. When we start shooting them at 400 or more, we don't even break out the camera anymore.

If your 6-06 likes them, the 87 Vmax might be an even better groundhog bullet. That's enough capacity to drive the 87's as fast or nearly as fast as I'm driving the 75's. And the 87's have the best BC of any pure "varmint" bullet I know of, at .400. I actually had this 6AI built to shoot the 87's, but so far the 75's are shooting more accurately in my rifle. I haven't given up on getting the 87's to shoot yet though.

- DAA

It was just throwing them too far.
Ha Ha! What piece of the Chuck did you go looking for that you couldn't find!? Did you check the neighboring counties!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif You need to replace the the above quote from your story to "It was just blowing them up too bad." That was some AWESOME footage DAA!!

Back