Ballistic Tips in .308 for Deer?

I've been milling over bullets to use for whitetails in my DPMS AP4 .308. I want something that opens fairly quickly but will still give me a pass through on a broadside shot. If I hit the near shoulder, that's a different story. I don't care how much weight the bullet shed's, I just want broadside pass through shots.

One that came to mind was the 180 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip. I was thinking that even if it opens fast, being 180 grains, it should still have enough energy to keep it driving. My gun only has a 16" barrel, so I was guessing the muzzle velocity will be somewhere around 2250 to 2300 depending on powder. I've used these in my .280, but was pushing 140 grain pills at almost 3,000 fps, and the results were pretty explosive at close range. Needless to say, I discontinued there use in that gun. Thoughs?

Also, Nosler BT or Combined Technology BT? What's the difference?

The only diffrence in the Nosler BT and the Combined Tech is the coating on the CTB, I thinks it's lubalox or something like that.

I would use a 150 gr. or 165 gr. Ballistic Tip rather than the 180 gr. bullet in your short barrelled .308 Winchester. At the velocities you are pushing them they will behave very well. The latest generation Nosler Ballistic Tip Hunting Bullets (not the Varmint version) have been toughened up and really perform quite well. I have personally used the 150 at just over 2,700 fps and the 165 at just under 2,600 fps from a 20" barrel .308 Winchester with perfect results on whitetails. Of course at those mild velocities the good old Hornady Interlock and Sierra Game King bullets have worked perfectly for a long time also.

I've had good luck with the nosler 165g "balistic hunting tip" 180 seems big for deer imo. What twist do you have in that 16" tube

I use 150 ballistic tips and they hit hard. 180 for whitetails is heavier than I prefer. For elk, bear, or something a bit larger I would step up to 180s.

I think BTs SUCK for deer on shots under 200 yds. They make a mess I simply don't want/need. Have seen it all too many times.

A simple jacketed soft point like an Interlock, Core-Lokt, Hot-Cor, or PowerPoint, SGK, etc. kills deer just as reliably without all the mess........

Originally Posted By: jasentI've had good luck with the nosler 165g "balistic hunting tip" 180 seems big for deer imo. What twist do you have in that 16" tube

1:10. I'd prefer a little slower twist as a 1:10 is just simply not needed for what I'll shoot, but I didn't have a choice as that is what they come with. It does shoot surprisingly well for a factory barrel, and will group the 168gr A-Max and Match Hollow Points under 1" for 5 shots at 100 yards. I can't really complain about that!

I have been using 125gr Nosler BTs in my encore .308 pistol barrel for several years with outstanding results. Very accurate and the velocity you will get out of your gun will be similar to mine which is perfect for these bullets. Win 748 works wonders in my encore.

180gr is a whole lot for a deer. It seems most that i have in 30 cal are more heavily constructed than needed for a deer. A few years ago i was sighted in with 180gr swift scirroco for elk, didnt feel like messing with it to adjust for my deer loads for a 1 day deer hunt.

I ended up taking a very heavy buck at 225 by laser, pulled the shot and went from the vitals into both shoulder joints. 30 cal in and 30 cal out, completely unuseable meat in between. Lost half the deer and the bullet was probably 100 past the target before it even thought of opening up.

Heres a different approach! I run a 16" Bushmaster (not Windham) LAR 308. Had a bunch of the "old style" winchester silver (aluminum) tips in 180gr. These things shoot like a lazer in this rifle--wow. Sure gonna missum when I run out! Other than that I just run 168gr CT's--bang plop. But thats not a definative solution, as a 68gr SP from my AR 15 delivers pretty much the same results--go figure!
G

Last year I used the 125 NBT in my 300 wsm at 3600 fps and it opened up alright. i shot it in the back, there was no problem getting through the deer. But it looked like a bomb went off on the back of the deer.

Back in the Clinton days I was having a hard time getting bullets. I ended up with a bunch of noslet BT in 25 cal and 7mm. Out of my boys 257 roberts velocity under 2800 he shot several mule deer and a few whitetails one shot kills good bullet performance. I shot several deer with 150 grain BT,s out of a 7mm mag everything I shot looked like a bomb went off. I even shot a young elk. I personaly wouldnt choose to shoot them at game. Out of a rifle thats 2800 2900 FPS muzzle plus. Hope that helps

Exact same recipe and results in my Remington 700VS.Originally Posted By: WNC-YOTEI have been using 125gr Nosler BTs in my encore .308 pistol barrel for several years with outstanding results. Very accurate and the velocity you will get out of your gun will be similar to mine which is perfect for these bullets. Win 748 works wonders in my encore.

Back