Prairie Dogs in Nevada

brian27729

I just moved to Nevada and want to take my son out to do some hunting here. We've been out fo coyotes a few times but going for prairie dogs I think would let him work on his accuracy. I live in the western part, does anyone know of any good places to go? Thanks.

Head east , northern utah or wyoming. No P-dogs in Nevada. You will find some grund squrils and even marmonts in northern Nevada.

There is an ad in the back of the current VARMINT HUNTER for an outfitter near Elko, NV who offers ground squirrel, coyote, and badger hunting.

Don't ignore the Belden ground squirrels, or whatever they are. My grandson and I fired 2800 rounds in 4 days........

All 22LR, by the way.

Plus I got 4 badgers while we were shooting ground squirrels (3 with my 22-250).

A good time was had by all (except the squirrels and badgers). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

1. Head east of Elko on the interstate to Halleck, turn south headed toward Secret Pass. Watch the west side of the road; you'll see two ranch houses, stop and check with them, get permission and further instructions.

2. Head east of Reno to Fernley, north to Gerlach and on to Eagleville/Cederville, CA. They host an event annually called "Squirrel Wars" and even offer a T-Shirt to those that kill 1000 in 1 day, at least they did a few years back. Check with the US Forest Service office for further information. Due to limitations imposed by Kalifornia on pesticide, the ground squirrels have become a persistent problem.

3. Head north out of Winnemucca to Paradise Valley; check locally for permission and instructions.

Those are all good areas for them digger squirrels, but if you live on the west side Reno/ Carson area there are ground squirrels in the hills around the towns, just find them on the rocks.There's also jackrabbits running about that make fun shooting.NVWalt

We go out and get the jackrabbits quite a bit. My son is still young and hasn't learned how to keep his butt still enough for him to get a coyote. I live a half hour east of Fernley so I guess I'll have to head north of there and see what I can find. Going to go buy my daughter a 17HMR and let here start having fun so I can have my 10-22 back. Thanks again.

Guides for coyotes, badgers and ground squirrels in Nevada? You need instructions nowadays? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Wow. I thank God I hunted predators in Nevada when I did. Crapshoot, I'm sure you are right, I've never seen a prairie dog in Nevada. They are not in California either, but I have seen them in northern Arizona, I think that's about as far west as they get.

DanntB, if your refering to Seligman, I was there last weekend with BlueDeacon. The numbers werent very high, but the heat and humidity was. They have been shot at alot too. After the first round, everything inside of 400 yrds disapears. Most of our shoots were between 500- 800+ yrds ( I didn't do to well, this was my first time). It rained the day before and the flying ants were out in swarms. Then the rain clouds came and along with them the wind. But the time with a good friend was well worth the trip. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
P-Doggin_2.jpg

BlueDeacon and I even got lucky !
Kevins_Target_of_Opportunity.jpg

My_Target_Of_Opportunity1.jpg

Back